IAP - 2019 AAW Symposium Involvement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Folks. IAP had four areas of involvement in this years AAW International Symposium, Raleigh, NC - 2019 (Finishing up tomorrow).:

1. The IAP Collection was in full display at a special table in the Instant Gallery.
2. Pens were included in the "Instant Display" area from IAP members.
2. Individual members were attendees. (Not a complete list, but those I saw: Jim Swank, Michael Hughes, Mark Dreyer, Toni Ransfield, Ed Street, Bill Machin).
3. IAP Volunteers/Demonstrators/Vendor Booths: Toni Ransfield, Michael Hughes, Mark James, Dick Sing (Apologies to any I missed).

I had the opportunity to chat with/see demos from: Dick Sing, Kurt Hertzog, Carl Jacobson, Kent Nelson (Kallenshaan Woods), Linda Ferber (AAW Program Director), Ron Campbell, Al Miotke, Mike Mahonony, David Ellsworth, Kip Christensen. (Yes, there are others I missed, but are noteworthy).

I (Mark) was personally involved with 5 sessions assisting with the Woodturning programs for the Visually Impaired (Lighthouse for the Blind), and the youth sessions.

Note: In the last 4 pictures below - I kept suggesting to the young girl to have a more even/slightly beveled profile (a key chain - about 2" long). She ignored me. I kept suggesting, she kept ignoring. Finally she said: "This is for my Grandpa, I want it to look like a ... bottle." AHA! OK, Now I get it. She had an awesome profile, she knew what she wanted, and I stood down! In the end, I couldn't have done a better job.

Her Grandfather was there (also as a new woodturner) and he could have not been more pleased.

Some pictures to follow.

A great weekend for the Visually Impaired woodturning programs as well as the youth session, and IAP assisted with each of them. (WE DUN GOOD!)

IMG_0893.JPGIMG_0894.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0898.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Mark, Thanks for sharing the info and the pics. Your Turner did very well for a first time at the lathe.
A few years ago, I assisted with the visually impaired turning at the Pittsburgh AAW Symposium. It was a learning experience for me as well as for my new turner.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Mark! I'll bet you are having a great time!

Yes, It has been a fun and educational few days. I saved some money by staying a few miles away, and spent that money on tools I now need to figure our how to use (Ruth Niles Offset Jig. I want to make some inlays on bird house stands that Dick Sing demo'ed). :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, Thanks for sharing the info and the pics. Your Turner did very well for a first time at the lathe.
A few years ago, I assisted with the visually impaired turning at the Pittsburgh AAW Symposium. It was a learning experience for me as well as for my new turner.

Yes! Teaching is a chore in any circumstance. Teaching someone with a "challenge" is especially difficult. And teaching someone with a challenge that you/I have not experienced is ... humbling. They do not have that "challenge" just at the lathe, they have it at home, getting to work, later that day at a restaurant, and then back at home. Humbling, admiration, and feelings of perspective for my minor aches and pains come into my mind. They were grateful for my assistance; I was grateful for what they taught me about handling what life gives us. So who learned more???

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Love it brother!!

Next year's Symposium will be in Louisville - June 4-11. đź‘Ť Not sure what life will present, but it's on my calendar. I suspect I will be a volunteer again with the youth sessions and the Visually Impaired sessions.

I took in a few good sessions, and enjoyed being helpful. I did learn... Many bowl turners have no idea of how to turn a pen; and I shouldn't try to show a newbie how to use a bowl gouge with a bowl turner at my elbow! :eek:

Charlie_W

Yes! Teaching is a chore in any circumstance. Teaching someone with a "challenge" is especially difficult. And teaching someone with a challenge that you/I have not experienced is ... humbling. They do not have that "challenge" just at the lathe, they have it at home, getting to work, later that day at a restaurant, and then back at home. Humbling, admiration, and feelings of perspective for my minor aches and pains come into my mind. They were grateful for my assistance; I was grateful for what they taught me about handling what life gives us. So who learned more???

Well said Mark.

Top Bottom