I wish I had known this earlier Part II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The original thread is 8 1/2 years old. Much of it is still viable. However I think it is time for an update, (if it is OK with the moderators and Librarian.)

There are things available today that were not readily available back in 2009: CBN Grinding wheels (cooler sharpening); plethora of carbide cutters; TBC Mandrels; odorless CA; Other finishes; 3D printing, etc. Still there are things we buy or try, or became frustrated with and then wish we had known about something, or a technique or other before.

Therefore: What is it that you wish you had known earlier - in pen turning?

The original thread is here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If I had just known earlier that it would cost as much as it has so far, I'd have cut that darn tree down that my wife got the stick from that she hits me with every time the UPS/Fedex truck shows up or when she gets home after finding another box at the post office.

If you're reading this honey I'm just kidding, *ow* no really *ow*.......:eek::biggrin:

menglor

I wish I knew that I can use 5 minute Epoxy from the dollar store for 1 dollar, instead of 15$ for 15 minute expoxy from the Pen Craft store.

and! Epoxy is better then CA for tubes, and it only takes 3 minutes longer

stevemorris

I wish I knew that I can use 5 minute Epoxy from the dollar store for 1 dollar, instead of 15$ for 15 minute expoxy from the Pen Craft store.

and! Epoxy is better then CA for tubes, and it only takes 3 minutes longer

that's all I use, simple and cheap. done lots of pen and I only had one fail and that was because for poor mixing on my part

Dehn0045

It took me far too long to start squaring blanks on the lathe. The barrel trimmer on the drill press or disk sander appear to be the most popular methods, I tried both but was still too often disappointed. I find using the lathe to be easier and more accurate than either of the other methods.

Also, I wish I had known how to more effectively hide my penturning expenditures from my wife, still haven't figured this one out...

Bikerdad

What is it that you wish you had known earlier - in pen turning? ..........

How many pens I was going to make and not sell or give away.

You can ALWAYS give pens away. Go to anyplace that either runs fundraisers or has volunteers and donate some pens.

That, or you just squirrel them away, and in a decade or so you too can be the main character on an episode of Hoarders.

:eek:

WriteON

What is it that you wish you had known earlier - in pen turning? ..........

How many pens I was going to make and not sell or give away.

you too can be the main character on an episode of Hoarders.

:eek:

GUILTY of pen hoarding and various other things.
Seriously...I do give some away to fundraisers. But I enjoy hoarding pens. Its artwork... its a collection. Wish i knew how many tools/lathes I was going to accumulate.... I would have bought a house with a larger garage. What I didn't know was how much fun this was going to be. Turning is an incredibly great hobby.

Last edited:

thewishman

Sandpaper is a tool, an important one. It's the last tool that touches your work. Don't buy cheap stuff, it's way too expensive.

I use between 2 and 5 pieces of 1/2" x 4+" on each pen barrel (that's 44 pieces from a single 9x11"sheet.) It costs me less than $0.09 for 5 pieces, even buying at Woodcraft's prices.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How many friends (TRUE FRIENDS) I would gain. I love making pens and playing in the shop (and yes, make a few $$ every now and then), but I have more friends in the last 5 years than I have ever had before.

Story: I related to a close (non turning) friend that I could drive from Ohio to Boston, Tampa, Dallas, or Seattle and arrange for a Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner meet-up with folks I have never met in person, but have chatted with on-line at IAP. He prided himself in his social contacts, but was in awe of this. And it is true!

Thank you IAP!

Top Bottom