I wasn’t sure if I’d like it or not....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Darrin

I was worried on how it would turn out, but after making a few adjustments to the finish.....I'm not mad about the attempt.
Caribbean opal inlayed into Buckeye Burl.
4E38727F-0306-4A89-82C9-612EC337E2FA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is a beautiful pen! Great experiment and it turned out exceptionally! That one makes it worth trying again!

Your finish is excellent!

howsitwork

pleasant to the eye but not convinced it needs two rings and they don't stand out too well amongst that superb grain. the lower ring near the nib acts as a focal point for the grain difference as you near that end. Middle band seems kind of out of place??

Nice proportions and good finish, just my thoughts.

Darrin

pleasant to the eye but not convinced it needs two rings and they don't stand out too well amongst that superb grain. the lower ring near the nib acts as a focal point for the grain difference as you near that end. Middle band seems kind of out of place??

Nice proportions and good finish, just my thoughts.
I would agree. It was a prototype.

Darrin

Nice proportions and good finish, just my thoughts
Looks great! Just curious, did you use the fine crushed opal. I was thinking of blending fine and medium for some larger inlay sections.
I did use fine for this application.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, an excellent combination of materials. I'll agree that a wider ring, sandwiched with white credit card veneers. Very nice.

Top Bottom