I Want To Experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

There has been talk here over the years about resins yellowing. Now I only use 2 different resins. Silmar41 and Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin. What I want to do and if someone has done this before show us your results. I want to replicate a turned pen in each resin. Here is where I need some help. How should I go about this. I do not want to make a block. I want it to be dimensioned to a pen size, probably a sierra size. Now should I leave the tube out? Should I include the tube? Should I paint the tube a certain color? I want to be able to track the color change over time and probably years. How should I store the experiment other than outdoors. That will not happen because my pens do not get stored out doors and I always tell people to keep out of sunlight if possible. I can do multiple pieces of each. Just not sure what would be the best test. I say this because we all know when a pen is turned the resin is so thin and not sure if color change can be picked up easily. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Mark Dreyer has a couple of blanks he did with the same label, one in Silmar41 and one in Alumilite. Cast them at the same time. it is easy to see how much more the Alumilite yellowed.

There's this video shootout I thought was pretty interesting that touches on the question along with a number of other questions regarding 13 different brands of resins. He did it with deep cast resins so I don't know if it applies to turning pens.

jttheclockman

Mark Dreyer has a couple of blanks he did with the same label, one in Silmar41 and one in Alumilite. Cast them at the same time. it is easy to see how much more the Alumilite yellowed.

There's this video shootout I thought was pretty interesting that touches on the question along with a number of other questions regarding 13 different brands of resins. He did it with deep cast resins so I don't know if it applies to turning pens.

Nice video. The resins he wound up with at the end were all very clear and if they stayed that way for long period of time any one of them would be great. He did a great job with the testing. Does not help me but it does give me a thought to maybe try Super Clear resin. To me that looked the best. Amazing the different tints in the resins. Thanks again.

derekdd

Nice video. The resins he wound up with at the end were all very clear and if they stayed that way for long period of time any one of them would be great. He did a great job with the testing. Does not help me but it does give me a thought to maybe try Super Clear resin. To me that looked the best. Amazing the different tints in the resins. Thanks again.
Happy to help. My wife and I used this video to determine which resin to buy for our various wood/resin projects.

I just wished more YouTubers took such a scientific approach to the products they use.

jttheclockman

Happy to help. My wife and I used this video to determine which resin to buy for our various wood/resin projects.

I just wished more YouTubers took such a scientific approach to the products they use.
Well what was your thoughts and what did you decide to go with? Many of those resins I never heard of and there are a ton more out there. The casting resin arena is loaded with brands and types and and would costly to do an extensive test. I wonder what drove this guy to use what he did? Alumilite has many different formulas alone and which one did he use. I did not get that part.

I may just add a couple of his to my test because he piqued my interest now with visible proof.

derekdd

Well what was your thoughts and what did you decide to go with? Many of those resins I never heard of and there are a ton more out there. The casting resin arena is loaded with brands and types and and would costly to do an extensive test. I wonder what drove this guy to use what he did? Alumilite has many different formulas alone and which one did he use. I did not get that part.

I may just add a couple of his to my test because he piqued my interest now with visible proof.
We've used both Incredible Solutions and Liquid Glass with good effect.

We've tried a couple others we didn't like as much.

jttheclockman

We've used both Incredible Solutions and Liquid Glass with good effect.

We've tried a couple others we didn't like as much.
Like to hear more about your choice. How long have you been using? What do you use it on? Where are you getting from ? Did you try the Super Clear? That one looks the clearest to me. Have you tried clear casting pens with it?

I usually check Amazon and read reviews and some are not good for either of these. I looked at Liquid Diamonds and the biggest complaint is the bottles are never full. I noticed this also every time I buy from Turners warehouse and his answer is they are sold by weight and the bottles are not sized for the weight. yet in all ads the bottles are full. Does feel you are getting ripped off.

Last edited:

derekdd

Like to hear more about your choice. How long have you been using? What do you use it on? Where are you getting from ? Did you try the Super Clear? That one looks the clearest to me. Have you tried clear casting pens with it?

I usually check Amazon and read reviews and some are not good for either of these. I looked at Liquid Diamonds and the biggest complaint is the bottles are never full. I noticed this also every time I buy from Turners warehouse and his answer is they are sold by weight and the bottles are not sized for the weight. yet in all ads the bottles are full. Does feel you are getting ripped off.
We get them direct from the manufacturer and typically buy at least 1 gallon, if not more, at a time because it's cheaper. Hence, our bottles are always full because we are purchasing by volume rather than weight.

We make wood and resin serving boards, coasters, wine caddies, and small tables. We've not tacked something as large as a dining room table before.

We are typically pouring 1" or so at a time, so slow curing/open time deep pour products. Sometimes we will do things like pour a colored bed to lay corks or other items on. The after that cures a bit, lay on a thick clear coat so you can see the corks, etc.

I've not poured my own pen blanks yet, but hope to do that in the coming months. Same with getting set up to stabilize with cactus juice as my favorite blanks are hybrid wood/resin.

Some examples here. https://bigdogwoodcrafts.squarespace.com/

derekdd

Just as importantly, which did you not like?
Well, the Total Boat product was a disaster but he explained that. Several seemed to have a tint to them, others bubbled more, and were less clear.

There is quite price range between products a year ago. I'm not sure where it is now as we still have a bit of resin laying around and haven't needed to buy any.

jttheclockman

We get them direct from the manufacturer and typically buy at least 1 gallon, if not more, at a time because it's cheaper. Hence, our bottles are always full because we are purchasing by volume rather than weight.

We make wood and resin serving boards, coasters, wine caddies, and small tables. We've not tacked something as large as a dining room table before.

We are typically pouring 1" or so at a time, so slow curing/open time deep pour products. Sometimes we will do things like pour a colored bed to lay corks or other items on. The after that cures a bit, lay on a thick clear coat so you can see the corks, etc.

I've not poured my own pen blanks yet, but hope to do that in the coming months. Same with getting set up to stabilize with cactus juice as my favorite blanks are hybrid wood/resin.

Some examples here. https://bigdogwoodcrafts.squarespace.com/
Very nice products. Like the wine and glass caddys with the corks. OK I have bookmarked this thread and when I do my testing I will post for sure. I have to look because it has been a long time now that U sed Silmar41 and have to see if what I have is even any good any more. Thanks for the replys.

derekdd

Very nice products. Like the wine and glass caddys with the corks. OK I have bookmarked this thread and when I do my testing I will post for sure. I have to look because it has been a long time now that U sed Silmar41 and have to see if what I have is even any good any more. Thanks for the replys.
Happy to help.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Top Bottom