I think it is time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Was thinking about this the other day as I get myself back in the shop mode again and started working on some pens, but I have been promising myself to make my brother a pen and pen box as a thank you for all the years he has helped me with my shows. Was going to do it for a Bash contest entry a few years ago but since I stopped doing those I think I will just go ahead and make it and show it here. Have the idea in my head already and just need to work some details out but it will be a themed pen and box and this one will be a complete set. Just wanted to put this out there so that at some time I can show it and add to my collection of themed boxes.

Love to see others show some themed pen boxes or just some out of the norm pen boxes or even pen stands. Trying to revive this forum. :) All still part of pen turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I have only made one pen box and it was not too long ago. I made this slimline pen and pencil set out of cocobolo. The pen box was an after-thought made out of a piece of scrap pine I had. Looking forward to see yours when it's done John.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 267

jttheclockman

John, I have read alot of your posts and really admire your work. I got the impression you were not a fan of "themed" work.
Not sure what you mean. Not a big fan of the themed gadget pen kits. I am a huge fan of a themed pen and or box. You can look through my photo album and see that. My blanks make the theme of the pen. Now with that said I have gone to a couple themed pens and kits. I have a friend who is a huge mechanic and also race fan so I made him a gear pen kit. He really liked that. I also have a friend who is a boat guy and I have no knowledge of boats at all so do not ask. I get sea sick just looking at a boat. But I bought some nautical kits from PSI about a year ago and I want to make him a pen. Have the idea in my head and all the items to cast a blank and I think it will surprise a few people here because it has never been done that I recall. I mentioned just recently if it was thought about to be cast it probably was. But I believe I have something that has not. Stay tuned for that one too.

jttheclockman

I have only made one pen box and it was not too long ago. I made this slimline pen and pencil set out of cocobolo. The pen box was an after-thought made out of a piece of scrap pine I had. Looking forward to see yours when it's done John.
Nice set and the box came out well. Everytime I see people do laser engraving it really gets me thinking and some day I may pull the trigger and go this route too. I could use it in my scrollwork too. Thanks for showing.

As far as the box I am referring to will be awhile yet because I have about 20 pens I am working on right now in various stages that I would like to finish. The box will take some jigs for the setup and cutting for sure. Will incorporate some scroll work in too. Stay tuned.

jttheclockman

John, I have read alot of your posts and really admire your work. I got the impression you were not a fan of "themed" work.
Michael, just to give you a little sample of what I call theme boxes and stands, here is some of my Bash contest entries. I have yet to make the corresponding pens for these but have the ideas for them in my head. Just one of those did not get around to it and moved on. I get bored easily and distracted easily. :)
Copy of IMGP0098.JPG
Copy of IMGP0109.JPG
Copy of IMGP0129.JPG
Copy of IMGP0194.JPG
Copy of IMGP0322.JPG
Copy of IMGP0359.JPG

KenB259

Ok John, I have to pick on you a bit. The IAP one with the blue flocking, the best you could do was a Sharpie??? Or is it a custom pen, cleverly disguised as a sharpie. Hope you know I'm just kidding you.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

qquake

Holy moly, those are amazing, John! Way, way out of my league! I've made a few boxes with the router table and jigs, but nothing like that, not even close! Oh, and I highly recommend getting a laser engraver. I'm having a lot of fun with mine, and it really opens up possibilities.

MPVic

Michael, just to give you a little sample of what I call theme boxes and stands, here is some of my Bash contest entries. I have yet to make the corresponding pens for these but have the ideas for them in my head. Just one of those did not get around to it and moved on. I get bored easily and distracted easily. :)View attachment 290561View attachment 290562View attachment 290563View attachment 290564View attachment 290565View attachment 290566
John: I have always been a fan of your craftsmanship but these are absolutely exquisite. I only hope the recipients will appreciate the artistry.

jttheclockman

Ok John, I have to pick on you a bit. The IAP one with the blue flocking, the best you could do was a Sharpie??? Or is it a custom pen, cleverly disguised as a sharpie. Hope you know I'm just kidding you.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Hello Ken. Not sure if you know this or not but in the Bash contests we are not allowed to use one of our own pens in fear it would give it away as to who made the item. This just happens to be a photo that I submitted for that contest. I never did take a seperate photo with a better pen. The card stand also has a generic pen I bought a few years ago just to see the quality of such a cheap pen and have to say it is well made. The pool table box also has a generic pen. The piano box I did take a seperate photo of one of my pens. But all these boxes and stands were entered in Bash contests. Some took first place. I will be making pens themed to each one of these items but as I said I lost interest over the years and moved on but promise I will revisit. I still have all these items and was asked to sell the pool table box and came close but refused. Offered good$$$ too.

KenB259

Hello Ken. Not sure if you know this or not but in the Bash contests we are not allowed to use one of our own pens in fear it would give it away as to who made the item. This just happens to be a photo that I submitted for that contest. I never did take a seperate photo with a better pen. The card stand also has a generic pen I bought a few years ago just to see the quality of such a cheap pen and have to say it is well made. The pool table box also has a generic pen. The piano box I did take a seperate photo of one of my pens. But all these boxes and stands were entered in Bash contests. Some took first place. I will be making pens themed to each one of these items but as I said I lost interest over the years and moved on but promise I will revisit. I still have all these items and was asked to sell the pool table box and came close but refused. Offered good$$$ too.
Nope, I didn't know that. I would have thought every one of them would have taken first place.

SteveJ

JT, your work always amazes me.

Before you take the plunge on a laser make sure it will work with your computer. You might have to upgrade that in order to have use one.

jttheclockman

JT, your work always amazes me.

Before you take the plunge on a laser make sure it will work with your computer. You might have to upgrade that in order to have use one.
There is some sort of upgrade in my future for sure because more and more sites I am getting locked out of and it gets frustrating. Just not sure I have time to learn how to use a lazer but the thought is there.

Top Bottom