I think I have a problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Went to Sam's Club today and bought a industrial rack to hold my wood for pen making. Now that statement alone should have clued me in that I have an obsession. However, to my defense, I had wood in too many places, and as I found out today, was buying wood I already had. Nice to get it all organized. Laughing already though because I found myself telling my wife " I'm really low on tiger wood". Is there any help for me? Don't suggest selling pen blanks as I'd consider that crazy talk. I guess on the positive side I should have plenty to do when I retire, but that's about 4 years away. Here's a picture of my rack. Lol don't judge me!!
IMG_1453.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Ummmmm .... I'd say you're prob'ly not alone !!

Now what you need is an inventory control system ! . Searchable, of course !

elyk864

I had to buy a two piece craftsman tool box to hold all my pen turning materials. I still have a 6 foot wide 3 bank Matco box for all my automotive tools lol. I need more garage space though, that's for sure.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I had 6 of those exact racks from Sam's Club when I sold my business. I kept three of them. They are great and will outlive us. I also understand your strategy as mine was the same. While I was working I bought enough "toys and material" that now that I am retired I have enough to last my lifetime. I have very few needs for what I want to do with woodturning. Just play, play, play! (and I agree with Gary, lots of room to fill!).

randyrls

You really need another rack to hold the pen blanks. Get going on breaking those down into blanks.
Too much air in there When you can't sgueeze another board in because it hits to shelf above it, then you have enough!

Don Rabchenuk

If you think that is bad come to my house. I have 2 of those filled with various wood blanks in the shed, a cabinet in the garage 1/2 full of pen blanks and a plastic 3 drawer storage unit full of pen blanks. I see no problem with what you have.

KenB259

Man that is nothing compared to my problem. I keep buying because I can not stop. Harbor freight had huge tool boxes on sale 2 years ago and I bought 3 of them One I have filled with all kinds of blanks. Another I am filling with pen making materials. Have the other for casting stuff. I do not see them in HF any more. https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.rXC4vCu4VyKhw5mHH1-J6wHaEp&pid=Api&rs=1

I have a very similar one of those, pretty full, but just regular tools, none of my pen making supplies are in it.

jttheclockman

I have a very similar one of those, pretty full, but just regular tools, none of my pen making supplies are in it.

I bought those specifically for pen stuff. I have so much material to be used to make pen blanks such as metals and plastics and tints and dyes and you name it that they are in storage boxes. I need to break those down into those tool boxes. I am working on that too. I have mentioned I need to make a cabinet for all pen kits. I have the lumber and was suppose to do it 3 years ago but life got in the way. Now that I went through both the shop and game room on clean up detail I really need to get that built. That would clear out alot of space being taken up with boxes and boxes of kits. I have no idea how many kits I have but it is over 2000. My wood stash is also in game room because it spilled over from my storage rack. I use to buy any exotics I could get on sale. My oak and maple are bought as needed because I run through that. My hardwoods dealer had sales around Thanksgiving every year that you could not pass up and his quality of wood was superb. He unfortunately had a fire in his shop 3 years ago and never rebuilt so that avenue has dried up. I still have another vendor where I buy my oak from but he does not have nearly as much exotics. Have alot of money tied up in exotic woods. I especially love the rosewood family I believe Bolivian rosewood is some of the prettiest woods around. You have to remember that I do more than just pens. My scrollsawing takes me into many projects that I use a lot of different woods. I am not sure how much longer I can continue woodworking but sure hope it is for some time. I love what I am doing and now retired it gives me a purpose to get into the shop. As I also mentioned I am done with my shows so I went on this cleanup detail and right after this I will start making pens for a few months before I have to switch back to scrolling. I also am working on remodeling my home. Have to get outside done next year. Roof, siding, and the whole nine yards. Put that off too long also. That is on a 5 year program but when done it will be easier for my family to sell when time comes.

I am going to be honest with you I misread you. Have for a few years now. I thought you were alot younger than I thought because of your avatar. But when you said you were near retirement age it took me back a little. So you have more experience than what I thought. Explains why you are putting out the quality of work you are doing. You know your way around machinery and tools. Good for you. keep up the great work. Love seeing new ideas. Hope soon I can jump into this too.

howsitwork

Hmm I did start to do an inventory of what's in which box ( or rather which side of the workshop ) but at 2 sides down it started to worry me a bit. I still have the centre isle and two walls to do before I start on tool cabinets and then there's the garage . That's just tools I daren't start on the wood stash away as it will "come in handy ". I do have a weakness for australian timbers I confess and it maybe, just maybe getting a bit out of hand! I haven't bought any recently 😇 but that's mainly because I've been swapping timber with two australian friends so none of us have bought anything ( and we made DAMN SURE our wives know this fact !! ) 😉
i now feel a bit guilty about not completing my inventory but hey, like you 4 years to retirement so .....

KenB259

I bought those specifically for pen stuff. I have so much material to be used to make pen blanks such as metals and plastics and tints and dyes and you name it that they are in storage boxes. I need to break those down into those tool boxes. I am working on that too. I have mentioned I need to make a cabinet for all pen kits. I have the lumber and was suppose to do it 3 years ago but life got in the way. Now that I went through both the shop and game room on clean up detail I really need to get that built. That would clear out alot of space being taken up with boxes and boxes of kits. I have no idea how many kits I have but it is over 2000. My wood stash is also in game room because it spilled over from my storage rack. I use to buy any exotics I could get on sale. My oak and maple are bought as needed because I run through that. My hardwoods dealer had sales around Thanksgiving every year that you could not pass up and his quality of wood was superb. He unfortunately had a fire in his shop 3 years ago and never rebuilt so that avenue has dried up. I still have another vendor where I buy my oak from but he does not have nearly as much exotics. Have alot of money tied up in exotic woods. I especially love the rosewood family I believe Bolivian rosewood is some of the prettiest woods around. You have to remember that I do more than just pens. My scrollsawing takes me into many projects that I use a lot of different woods. I am not sure how much longer I can continue woodworking but sure hope it is for some time. I love what I am doing and now retired it gives me a purpose to get into the shop. As I also mentioned I am done with my shows so I went on this cleanup detail and right after this I will start making pens for a few months before I have to switch back to scrolling. I also am working on remodeling my home. Have to get outside done next year. Roof, siding, and the whole nine yards. Put that off too long also. That is on a 5 year program but when done it will be easier for my family to sell when time comes.

I am going to be honest with you I misread you. Have for a few years now. I thought you were alot younger than I thought because of your avatar. But when you said you were near retirement age it took me back a little. So you have more experience than what I thought. Explains why you are putting out the quality of work you are doing. You know your way around machinery and tools. Good for you. keep up the great work. Love seeing new ideas. Hope soon I can jump into this too.

My avatar is a recent picture, most people that don't know me well do not believe I am 62, I guess that's a good problem to have [emoji39]. I have been working with machinery my entire life and have always been a stickler for precision. I think that's why I enjoy segmenting so much.

Top Bottom