I Think I got if figured out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had the opportunity to have a conversation with a gentleman who is apart of a niche based mail order company. For those who are also Traditional Archers you may already know them. Three Rivers Archery.
Now I got a simplified run down of how they go from when an order is taken to the point of being boxed up.
The main key of it all is that everything they have in their warehouse has a Universal product code sticker. Also no multi-tasking personnel other than perhaps the owners.

So with this bit of information, WHY doesn't PSI do this too.
Also with regards as to why they may take over a week or longer just to process the orders very well maybe the reason that only certain kits are in house.
OR they just aren't what we may have perceived they are.
PSImapScaled_zps275bd559.jpg

This is what I found when I did a did a search from using the information off of the PSI web site. The address, stated as their retail outlet, takes one to what appears to be the MLCS retail outlet.
Does this excuse them from the lack luster service when we either order by mail, phone or internet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Hmmm, I can't say I see a problem w/ PSI. When I place an order I select the 5-8 business days (cheapest option) and it has never been late. I don't care if they sit on it for 7 days and spend extra money to overnight it, as long as it is there by the time we both agreed it would be. Amazon does the same thing. I order from them and don't get a shipping confirmation for 3-4 days and it arrives w/in the 8 days I agreed to. Why is no one complaining about Amazon?

walshjp17

The MLCS outlet store is actually joined at the admin offices to the PSI store -- same building separated by the order takers, as it were.

Not a big fan of PSI quality, but as far as orders go, everything I have ordered from them via the web has come in four days or less and I have ordered everything from kits, blanks, hardware and other strange stuff. I've been in their store and they seem to have everthing available in their catalogue in the store.

They would benefit from barcoding their products. Watching the "sales" guy search for SKUs on their antiquated workstations (I swear they either use DOS 6.0 or Win95:eek:) is painful.

cwolfs69

i have never had any unusual problem with PSI's delivery. In fact i am usually surprised when it arrives because i'm not expecting the order yet. and there customer service has been spot on every time but one and a supervisor corrected that very quickly.

JohnGreco

The retail store is a separate entity from their online/catalog sales. When you order online or through their catalog, it comes from a warehouse that is near, but not connected to, the retail location. The retail location does have some back-office connections, but product-wise the 2 are totally different. MLCS is the (mostly) router accessory branch of their biz- the retail location carries both the PSI pen supplies and their MLCS supplies.

I must say my recent experience ordering with PSI was disappointing - I ordered three kits which would have easily fit a small USPS flat rate box. I selected the least expensive shipping options which cost $5 for 5-10 days vs $8.50 for 3-8 days or $9 for priority mail again at 3-8 days. The order shipped 5 days later and took another 8 to get here. On the other hand I ordered a few things from CSA the day before yesterday. It shipped the same day and arrived today for a $6 shipping fee. Guess where I'm placing my future orders.

Dan Masshardt

Psi is close to which helps my stuff get here a bit before others. Usually the next day after it ships.

They have a rush processing for a few extra bucks. They must either have light staff or huge volume or they purposely hold back to push people to pay extra for rush shipping.

They have always delivered to me within promised time.

I think the biggest issue is the contrast. Exoticblanks, craft supplies and woodturningz all ship very fast which makes psi weak in comparison.

I believe penn state charges the most for shipping too.

The MLCS outlet store is actually joined at the admin offices to the PSI store -- same building separated by the order takers, as it were.

Not a big fan of PSI quality, but as far as orders go, everything I have ordered from them via the web has come in four days or less and I have ordered everything from kits, blanks, hardware and other strange stuff. I've been in their store and they seem to have everthing available in their catalogue in the store.

They would benefit from barcoding their products. Watching the "sales" guy search for SKUs on their antiquated workstations (I swear they either use DOS 6.0 or Win95:eek:) is painful.

:eek::eek::eek: Seriously???!!!!

Last edited:

Jim Smith

I placed an order with PSI about two weeks ago and I received shipping notification within 24hrs and received the package three days after I placed the order. I was very happy with the service.

Jim Smith

ashaw

MCLS is a separate company which happens to sell products from Penn State IND. Penn State is east of here in Philadelphia.

ashaw

PSI Service is excellent as far as I am concerned. I had the same service from Berea Hardwoods as I do from Penn State Ind. So they have bad days yes just like I do but in the end there good days far out weight their bad days.

ashaw

I Philadelphia we are having a huge problem from at the main postal sort facility. This has been on going from the past 4 months. So much so I start using FedEx. Express mail took 3 days from VA to PA. Priority mail took 14 days from Indiana to PA. The post master is aware of the problem which was due to closing down a number of sort facilities and funneling to work to So. Philadelphia.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I Philadelphia we are having a huge problem from at the main postal sort facility. This has been on going from the past 4 months. So much so I start using FedEx. Express mail took 3 days from VA to PA. Priority mail took 14 days from Indiana to PA. The post master is aware of the problem which was due to closing down a number of sort facilities and funneling to work to So. Philadelphia.
This might well have been due to Sandy --- my stuff from DE used to go to a sort facility in NJ now a lot of it goes to Philly and some goes to Western PA. You think across country is bad -- try across the street. If I mail a package to Milford it goes at least to Wilmington (65 - 70 miles away) and then comes back to Milford. A letter doesn't go quite as far but it goes at least 20 miles away to be canceled and then comes back to Milford.

nava1uni

I like PSI and have always had very courteous people to deal with regarding any order or any problem. Feels like people just need something to complain about and PSI gets the brunt of it. Once it leaves their warehouse they have nothing to do with how longs it takes to reach it's destination.

I like PSI and have always had very courteous people to deal with regarding any order or any problem. Feels like people just need something to complain about and PSI gets the brunt of it. Once it leaves their warehouse they have nothing to do with how longs it takes to reach it's destination.

That is the main issue, Not after it leaves, but because it takes so long for it too leave. For it to be processed, gathered, put in a box and labeled and put on rack to be taken by the appropriate package delivery service.

This might well have been due to Sandy --- my stuff from DE used to go to a sort facility in NJ now a lot of it goes to Philly and some goes to Western PA. You think across country is bad -- try across the street. If I mail a package to Milford it goes at least to Wilmington (65 - 70 miles away) and then comes back to Milford. A letter doesn't go quite as far but it goes at least 20 miles away to be canceled and then comes back to Milford.

Ya know Smitty, that is even here in Michigan. At one time there was signs on the mail boxes outside post offices one for Local only and Out of Town. Those signs are long gone.
Where I live it goes to Lansing to be sorted then back to my town if it was for a local letter. Maybe it saves money by not having to pay people at the local level and have a computer do it. Progress... why does it seem so backwards
Thanks for your input Smitty:biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Ya know Smitty, that is even here in Michigan. At one time there was signs on the mail boxes outside post offices one for Local only and Out of Town. Those signs are long gone.
Where I live it goes to Lansing to be sorted then back to my town if it was for a local letter. Maybe it saves money by not having to pay people at the local level and have a computer do it. Progress... why does it seem so backwards
I'm old enough to remember when we sent Christmas cards, we didn't even have to put
the whole address - just the PO box number and "Town" would get it to the right place we'd usually add the first name of the intended party. We didn't seal the envelope and it cost a penny. 3 cents if we sealed the envelope.

I'm old enough to remember when we sent Christmas cards, we didn't even have to put
the whole address - just the PO box number and "Town" would get it to the right place we'd usually add the first name of the intended party. We didn't seal the envelope and it cost a penny. 3 cents if we sealed the envelope.

I am sure you remember when... You got mail every day of the week, and it was delivered twice Monday through Saturday. I have only heard of this amazing service.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I remember when cities had twice dailey delivery of mail. I lived in a very small town where every one within 5 miles of the post office had a post office box and picked up their mail there. Oddly enough when you drove along country roads you did not see mail boxes at every house. One lady who lived about 100 or 150 yards from us, used to stop me when I was walking by and give me any mail she wanted to go out - they didn't have a car and if her husband was at work she wouldn't walk (I don't think she could have) the half mile to the PO to mail it herself. The post master would often ask one of the kids to take someone their mail on the way home from school - they would call to see if they had any and ask him to have "mary" take it to her.

There was one rural delivery route and one town 9 miles away that got their mail (which was always delivered by rail) from our post office because we were the nearest railroad.

My older sister lived in a small city and did get morning and afternoon delivery and pickup. It was a different world.

Junk mail had not been invented yet and there were far more days when we got no mail than when we got some.

Top Bottom