I think I’m getting a Proxxon 150/E

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dozuki

I was on a good while ago and got some really good advice and just couldn't decide what to get. Since one of the main things I was looking for was a decent lathe I could turn the occasional pen and work on wooden rings and odd metal piece. So I decided to go with the proxxon which has a small footprint and more than enough power for me. I don't see myself working on any steel pieces.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I will post pics when it arrives.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I think you'll be happy with it. I got a PD 400 about 6 months ago and love it. Night and day difference from the seig style i had. Every detail is well thought out, very accurate with fit and finish that puts the Chinese lathe to shame.
enjoy!

dozuki

I sure hope so it looks like just the thing I need. Can't wait for it to arrive. Now I have to find something to do with all other turning stuff.

PatrickR

If you are like me tools come in but very rarely leave. I had planned on selling the old lathe but now am in the process of making it dedicated to tapering and slotting.

bmachin

Not trying to be a party pooper here, but that lathe is only 4" between centers. You'll be ok if you drill your blanks on a drill press but no way will you be able to do it on the lathe.

Just want to point out that your between centers and drilling options are very limited.
Bill

PatrickR

That is a small lathe no doubt but it has a .72 pass through, so if you start with a round blank .70 or so, in theory you could drill through an 8" blank. I don't know how they measure "center to center" but will check mine against the stated measurement.

darrin1200

That is a small lathe no doubt but it has a .72 pass through, so if you start with a round blank .70 or so, in theory you could drill through an 8" blank. I don't know how they measure "center to center" but will check mine against the stated measurement.
It's actually an 8.5mm (.33") through hole. Which could make it difficult to make bespoke pens. But the spindle bore is milled for an ER11, so you fit a pen mandrel directly in the headstock. Not sure if you could fit a 2-piece pen between the centres though.

PatrickR

It's actually an 8.5mm (.33") through hole. Which could make it difficult to make bespoke pens. But the spindle bore is milled for an ER11, so you fit a pen mandrel directly in the headstock. Not sure if you could fit a 2-piece pen between the centres though.
Oops. I must have looked at the larger one. Good thing dozuki is buying for rings.

dozuki

It has arrived I can see that it will be great for rings but not so great for pens. It just doesn't have enough space. So I broke down and also found a Jet pen turning the new in box on eBay. The proxxon is small enough to fit in a drawer of my tool chest.

darrin1200

I just picked up this Taig lathe at a local auction. It was in a bit of rough shape, but I got it fairly well cleaned up. It came with milling attachment, that I am hoping to use on my clips.
80E2F166-646D-478A-B5AA-61511368C693.jpeg

Top Bottom