Ebonite, ebony and aluminum
200712161320_EboniteEbonyAluminumJrStatesman.jpg

Ebonite, bloodwood and aluminum
200712161413_EboniteBloodwoodAluminumJrStatesman.jpg

Thanks to all who look and particularly those who comment. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I can see his handiwork, and yours too! Great combination of workers and great work! I REALLY like the color combinations on the bottom! the layers of aluminum look like silver threads in the picture! Majestic!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Really like the color contrast on the nib holding section of the aluminum and bloodwood. While I'm a big fan of mixed materials, for me, I'm not sure the ebonite works with these. Maybe its the photos.

For the top one, it looks like one of the waves doesn't make it to the top - intentional or optical illusion?

Overall - nice stuff. Always inspiring to see an Eagle blank turned by a master.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well done, both of you. I think I prefer the bottom one but only because the 'spot' near the cb. I hope it is only a photo trick. But if it is a small flaw, is there enough length in the barrel to trim it a tad?

I would love to know how the aluminium was done on the bottom one too. Looks great. Please give the man my regards.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice collaboration, Lou!! Count me as liking having the cap and nib blanks different. It avoids the problem of lining up the wave pattern and makes the pattern less overpowering. I feel your choice of blanks gives the pens a more subtle dignified appearance.

GaryMGg

They're both real fine pens.
What is the story on the nib end of the pen in the first picture -- is that wax that didn't get buffed off?
Once again, you and the Eagle have soared high. [8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you for the kind words and comments. There is a flaw in the ebony pen, primarily due to my drilling, I think. The cloud is actually a smudge that I neglected to clean up. I will try to post a photo with a lighter backgroud later.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

With the black cap, could you get away with putting a red inlace on each end of the pen to eliminate the section that has the slight imperfection? If you choose to do this, mount a washer (Preferably CA-resistant material) next to the bushing (touching the brass tube). Then, turn off the "bad" section, down to the brass. Fill with inlace and CA.

While I am pretty confident you have done this before and did NOT need this detail, I hope it may help others who have encountered the "end of the pen" problems. I use it (as one method) whenever I get chips in polyresins at the ends. I DO, generally, use the same technique at BOTH ends, even if only one end is "damaged". I think it makes the pen look more "planned" than the "one-end repair" that screams "OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS"!!![:D][:D][:D]

Oh, Great looking pen Lou and Eagle. But, you both KNEW that!!![:D][:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the additional replies. Thanks for the ideas on fixing the ebony one, Ed. I don't do much in the way of oops fixes, but I might on this one...although I like the homely mutt aspect of it. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Thanks for the additional replies. Thanks for the ideas on fixing the ebony one, Ed. I don't do much in the way of oops fixes, but I might on this one...although I like the homely mutt aspect of it. [8D]

Lou,
One only knows how to repair "oops's" when one "oops's" frequently. Hence, I am a master "oops" repairer.

Definitely not something to which to aspire!!![:D][:D]

lwalden

man, I love that wave pattern in the red and white on the first pen. Knocked my socks clean off the first time I saw the blank Eagle did for Gerry with that same pattern. Beautiful work, Lou.

PR_Princess

You still work with Eagle, Lou???

Well, you could blow me away like a feather with that one!!!
[}:)][}:)][}:)][:D][:D].

I really like Eagle's metal and wood combo blanks. After seeing yours, I cannot wait till Ed gets a chance to turn his. At first I was not sure, but now I like the bloodwood one the best. Very masculine with the addition of the ebonite cap. [8D][8D]

gerryr

Lou made an OOPS?????????????? I'm not sure my heart can take it.[:D] I like the bloodwood one better, but they are both beautiful as usual. Great blanks from the master as always.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Lou made an OOPS?????????????? I'm not sure my heart can take it.[:D] I like the bloodwood one better, but they are both beautiful as usual. Great blanks from the master as always.

I don't believe Lou has actually acknowledged it in those terms yet, Gerry. So, let's be kind and continue to reference the "homely mutt" aspect.

Probably don't want to say "homely mutt" when talking with EAGLE about it, though!!![;)][;)][;)][;)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
You may have a point, Ed! Eagle IS a homely mutt, but don't call his blanks that!! [;)][;)]

I am slowly turning one of his blanks as that is the pace my nerves dictate. I hope to have it posted in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom