I should know better when making bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Well I decided to make some bushings for a few kits I had in. So I sequentially drilled upto a letter D and made a set to matct the fittings, perfectly. So I then moved onto the next set but I didn't face off the silver steel merely extending the piece from the chuck and , using the existing centre drill mark redrilled again sequentially, noted a slight oscillation but ( over confidently relying upon the drill to go straight ) kept going. The. spent ages making sure the outside was exactly 12.05 mm and the step went down to a lovely sliding fit 9.39 mm. Finished at midnight so left them, tidied up a bit and had a beer to celebrate ,

This morning I went to debur the bushings and found the below result in the second set !
5DA5E490-4D35-4635-8496-79AE0381307A.jpeg
So if anyone want to make an offset pen they're up for grabs !!

Attachments

• D557CA46-01DF-4ED4-B8A6-9C86D69CB28F.jpeg
    D557CA46-01DF-4ED4-B8A6-9C86D69CB28F.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

New , more accurate set have now been made along with a new drawbar for the ER 32 Mt2 collet chuck whilst I was at it.
image.jpg
that at least went according to plan

howsitwork

Gary

good idea I can mount in the ER32 to guarantee accuracy and put a 60 deg in the centre . I tend to work by mandrel but could come in handy. Thanks 😊

magpens

Put a 60 degree chamfer on the ends for between center bushings if you want to salvage your work. Think you can get that centered with the wonky hole in the part?
That could be a bit tricky. . Might work by doing it on the lathe and starting with a proper 60 degree counter-sink bit for starters. . Or you could do it on a metal-working lathe by actually machining the 60 degree chamfer.

Hey !! . You made a nice job on the drawbar !!

howsitwork

Mal

if I go for it then I will use the metal work lathe. A Boxford 5" geared. Your call them southbend over there . I figure machine the initial section at 60 with a micro boring bar ( got one a while back and been looking for its mission in life !)

Currently just come in from fixing multiple punctures ( blackthorn hedging been sit locally) on my and my sons bike. His had 4 punctures and as I was putting mine away I noticed my front tyre was soft, sure enough one in mine too. So not doing any machining tonight.
Pleased with the drawbar. I didn't really need it as have a 3Mt chuck (ER32) dedicated to the Boxford and the 2Mt version is for the wood lathe but having started it was addictive . Aluminium swarf flying everywhere , you know how it is ....😏

howsitwork

You might get addicted to btc turning once you use it a few times.
Might do Gary . I have tried calipers turning and it's quite fun before I decided it was more fun to make my own bushings so it's exact.
I am in awe of the people who build their own pens from scratch on here.

Thanks for the idea though. I was either going to throw them or mount them to remind me of the need to face off before trying to drill and ream precisely.
You might get addicted to btc turning once you use it

Top Bottom