I should have painted the tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2017
Messages
167
Location
Columbus, Nebraska, USA
Greetings from Nebraska.
This is today's experiment - my oldest son asked if you could segment using horizontal lines with acrylic blanks without a filler line between them (like aluminum). I used some odds and ends of Rhino Plastic blanks and 5-minute epoxy to glue them together. We were mostly curious about the glue lines and how they would look on the finished product. The tubes are showing through in a couple of spots, otherwise I think it made an OK pen - the experiment was a success anyway. I pressed them into a Chrome Cigar just for grins.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_1231 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1233 Cropped.jpg
 
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
12,655
Location
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
That pen looks really good !!!

Any little bit of show-through is insignificant ... " particularly if they don't know what to look for. " ... 😀 😀 😀

Everything blends together and looks just as it should !! . Experiment successful !!!
 

BURLMAN

Member
Joined
May 5, 2011
Messages
1,369
Location
Chattanooga, TN
David, this is kindly meant. Two observations. It looks to my eye that you may have reversed the nib and finial bushings, which is something I have done as well. Secondly, on the upper barrel at the center band, it is obvious one side is severely overturned, while the opposite side is flush. Recommend you check your alignment and your bushings.
 

egnald

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2017
Messages
167
Location
Columbus, Nebraska, USA
David, this is kindly meant. Two observations. It looks to my eye that you may have reversed the nib and finial bushings, which is something I have done as well. Secondly, on the upper barrel at the center band, it is obvious one side is severely overturned, while the opposite side is flush. Recommend you check your alignment and your bushings.
Your observations are also kindly received. I guess I should have clarified more in my initial post. This was an experiment related to the glue up more than anything. We never planned on pressing it into a pen, just on observing the transitions between the blank scraps that were glued together. Your observations are all spot on - it was a hack job at best and the bushings I used were an old set, definitely rounded over and worn out. - Dave
 
Top Bottom