I received free wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just received several wild cherry logs that are 4" to 8" in diameter
and about 24-30" long. I sealed the ends. Would be better off to
cut them down to 2-3" square by 18" or so-to help them dry better?
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BassBlaster

I always mill into whatever sizes I want and then seal the ends with parafin. I have an electric skillet I keep wax in and heat it up at the lowest setting and dip all the ends and then stack everything like jenga blocks to dry. If cutting pen blanks green, I'll cut them a little large, usually around 1" square by 6" length to allow for warpage, etc. You could also just mill it into 4/4 boards and then mill into pen blanks later. Regardless of how you do it, end seal everything and if you cut any bowl blanks, hollow form blanks, etc, seal them on every side.

alamocdc

Ron, sealed or not, if they are in log form, the pith needs to be cut out of them immediately. Cherry will literally check while you watch it within minutes of being cut if the pith is in it. If you don't want to mill it all up right away, split the logs removing the middle 1.5" to 2" Then you can also rip the middle out of the remaining plank giving you some nice pen, or stopper sized blanks. Coat the ends for drying.

robutacion

I just received several wild cherry logs that are 4" to 8" in diameter
and about 24-30" long. I sealed the ends. Would be better off to
cut them down to 2-3" square by 18" or so-to help them dry better?
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron

The principle is Ron, the smallest you cut them at, the quickest the wood will dry...! By exposing the wood to air you achieve dry wood a lot faster, if you only make pens, cutting the blanks a little oversize, as advise previously, and stack then with same space in between, and a weight (brick, etc.,) on top it will reduce wood movement while drying.

If you want to keep some wood for small bowls, slice the logs in half, mark and cut the rounds from it, seal the end-grain (wax, other...!) and put them in a dark, dry well ventilated place, until you're ready for them or they are dry...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

duncsuss

Ron, sealed or not, if they are in log form, the pith needs to be cut out of them immediately ... split the logs removing the middle 1.5" to 2" Then you can also rip the middle out of the remaining plank giving you some nice pen, or stopper sized blanks.

A while back I drew a picture of how to slice up a log in preparation for bowl blanks ... hope this helps :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 6.48.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 6.48.57 PM.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 154

alamocdc

Ron, sealed or not, if they are in log form, the pith needs to be cut out of them immediately ... split the logs removing the middle 1.5" to 2" Then you can also rip the middle out of the remaining plank giving you some nice pen, or stopper sized blanks.

A while back I drew a picture of how to slice up a log in preparation for bowl blanks ... hope this helps :)

Thanks, Duncan, that's exactly what I was trying to describe.

Top Bottom