I quit tackle box building again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

These things are hard and take too much of my time. I made these AT COST for two deckhands on the Royal Star Sportfishing boat. They are pretty and very functional.

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4158.jpeg
    IMG_4158.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4159.jpeg
    IMG_4159.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    646.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    651.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4156.jpeg
    IMG_4156.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 109
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Glad you keep quitting quitting. These are beautiful! Really love the finish, that satin sheen is so nice. Wood is amazing too.

I've been poking around with making small boxes. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet. I'm curious...what's the hardest part of making things like this, that makes you want to never make one again?

sorcerertd

They are indeed pretty and I'm sure functional. You've definitely made some nice tackle boxes that I've seen here (now and in the past). Until next time... ;)

mmayo

Glad you keep quitting quitting. These are beautiful! Really love the finish, that satin sheen is so nice. Wood is amazing too.

I've been poking around with making small boxes. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet. I'm curious...what's the hardest part of making things like this, that makes you want to never make one again?
With every step in the process, I can have a misstep and fail for the whole box. I've had over 20 years of practice at getting it right, but I pucker often during construction. These boxes tied up my shop or finishing room for weeks. After each coat of finish, the entire box is sanded with 400 grit sandpaper and cleaned before the next coat. I'm glad to be back to pens, shave sets and cutting board.

Concerning the sheen, they are actually liquid-like glossy with six coats of glossy spar varnish.

Top Bottom