I need your help with STEP DRILLS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

After the BASH has concluded I plan on offering STEP DRILLS for sale, here is a pic of what I'm talking about...

IMG_9188.JPG

I've invested in a metal lathe toolpost grinder and a tool and cutter grinder and it's time they start earning their keep!

What I need from you is feedback as to what sizes you need. Here is a link to a drawing I made that has the measurements I need...

Please have a look at it and let me know what you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are you looking to replace a starter bit and make a combination starter bit/ tube size bit? Or are you looking to make a standard step bit that just keeps increasing the hole diameter to desired size.? Would it be more than one step per bit? I assume this is more for finicky blanks such as segmented with metals and ones that can blow apart? If it is a matter of stepping I think the beginning drills really do not matter and leave that to you for your convience if you set up the tooling. The last drill would be tube size holes. Now I know when drilling segmented blanks many times the steps need to be close to not take too much material off at one time. So it could take a couple different sized step drill bits to get to finished size. Or maybe I am missing your intentions all together and then in that case just ignore my questions. 🙂

rherrell

The one pictured above is for a Pentel Pencil, so far that's the only one I have dimensions for.

I'm not talking about a Unibit style that's tapered, just straight steps.

dogcatcher

I think you will have a small section of people that will be customers. Those will be te ones that have not learned all of the "tricks" of using their tools properly. Not going into details, but on my game calls I have one call that uses a 9/31, a 3/8 and 1/2 bit, the 9/32, is the one in the center part. It is basically the same process I use on drilling the Pentel blanks.

KenB259

The closed end kits that Bullseye Turning Supplies sells would be a perfect fit for these, if you can make a 3 step bit.

PatrickR

These would be great for kitless pens. Cap, barrel and section. ideally with more than one step.
Is that a problem Rick?

Bryguy

Rick, I'd be interested for kitless pens. It seems that you would have to customize them to meet the demands of the individual pen maker. However, for caps it would seem that since one of the "standard" thread sizes are 12 x 8 x 3 the drill bit for that particular tap would be a place to start, coming down to 10 mm past the thread area for the pen nib.

RobS

@rherrell I like this, I'll sign up for a pentel drill for sure.

Question: Also, I'd be up for a Roller ball step drill, but I do not know what is needed. So perhaps if one of the Kitless Roller Ball gurus could comment.

RichAldrich

I received some pentel drill bits from Rick. They work great! I custom ordered step drill bits to make a parker clicker with a Schmidt SKM-88 transmission. They also work well.
I calipered the components I wanted to use and started drilling different size holes to see what would work for stability and clearance. This application was a lettered and a numbered bit.
I use Waynes drill size cross reference in the resources. It has the diameters of metric, fraction, lettered and numbered bits. Fantastic. I also use the guide to determine what drill bit to use for the tap in threading.
Design it, draw a picture and send it to Rick. He will make it for you. He likes to use made in USA bits. He does not stock every size. 2cents.

Jarod888

I like the idea of the Pentel pencil one. The ones from patrickr also seem like a good idea.

For kitless, I would think the mandrel sizes would be best, but that may limit what people could use as far as specific mandrel sizes.

PatrickR

The problem I see with these is the "steps" are 1mm and .75mm, that's just not enough "meat" for me to grind the relief on them. Then again, maybe they wouldn't need it, I'll have to experiment and see.
It will be interesting to find out.
I wouldn't be using them in metal, but they are small bits.

Top Bottom