I need some advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgsearle

I am in the process of trying to purchase a new band saw. I have a budget limitation of $500 or less and am looking for a good bench top model to replace the ancient 12" Craftsman model I inherited from a neighbor that passed away a few years back. I also have some space limitations since my shop is in my garage.
I am not an experienced woodworker by any means an will primarily use this for smaller turning projects.
If I can get to the point where I am not terrible at this I might invest more at a later date - we'll see.

Is it just more worth my while to purchase a brand like Wen or Central Machinery?
I have heard they don't cut particularly straight which is not good. I have been looking at the Rikon and Jet models in that price range and according to the reviews I have read, they both seem to have rampant quality issues.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I know you're on a budget and I went down that road when I started as well. My advise is wait until you can afford a quality machine. You'll end up buying it anyways, down the road. You can't get better if you're already doing the best your tools can do.

DrD

I have 2 Delta saws, neither of which are currently being made, soooooooooooo in anticipating the need to replace on or the other, or both, I am lookin at either Rikon or Grizzley. Griz makes a super nice table top saw: Grizzly G0803Z - 9" Benchtop Bandsaw with Laser Guide. For a few bucks more, you can get the really cool Rikon: RIKON - 10" Bench Top Bandsaw, Model 10-305. Both ought to serve you quite well.

After you get your new saw, I would encourage you to look at making bandsaw boxes. They're a hoot, and usually more quite well at craft shows.

DrD

By the way DrD, THAT is an looking awesome dog.
She my big girl. I've always loved dogs; she has totally stolen my heart. Aza is a full blooded South African Mastiff, known as a Boerbol. They are used to protect ranchers and their families from lions. She thinks she's a lap dog - only weighs about 210. She can put her front legs on my shoulders and lay her head on top of mine - I'm 6' tall.
Thanks for the compliment.

Something to consider with your tight budget. Does the Craftsman still operate well or does it need some minor work? If it needs some minor re-tuning maybe you can drop a few bucks on it now and then save for a nicer model to pick up later. Just a thought. I've been using the same band saw I got over 35 years ago that my wife got at store called Post Tool. I've had to put a little into it but it was a lot cheaper than buying a brand new saw. All of my power tools are well over 30 years old, some over 40. I keep them tuned and do an inspection of every tool on an annual basis. I think the only tool I have that is new is my pen lathe, it's just 3 years old and when it dies, it's a Penpal from PSI, I'll replace it. But the rest of the tools are working just fine and do exactly what I need them to do. Again, just a thought. Good luck.

Top Bottom