I need ideas for drill bit storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

Still trying to get my act refined a little better around this pen turning sport and now need some ideas to best store my dozen or so drill bits for pens that I have accumlated. I have a full set of regular bits in their own holder and case, but wanted to keep my pen drill bits separated from the rest.

Right now I have the bits stored with my kits in little plastic cases, but I am not totally satisfied with that system. I was thinking of taking a block of wood and drilling out a hole for each bit to keep the bits in and close at hand to the DP. I could then label them by size and which kit(s) they go with.

Being a bit (no pun intended) perception challanged, I was hoping some of you had a picture of how you do yours to jump start my idea.

As always, I appreciate any offerings you have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Hi Bob,
Don't store the bits in holes in wood. Wood contains moisture and resin, neither of which is good for a bit.

I'd recommend cleaning the bit of any sawdust, resin, or tar. Coat it with a light oil, and wrap it lightly in a double layer of aluminum foil. Press the foil into the flutes so it will stay in place. The foil protects the sharp edges of the bit from damage, helps keep those sharp edges from damaging you, and keeps the oil off things around the bit. Wipe off the oil before using the bit.

As for where to keep the bits, there's lots of good ideas. I usually keep the bushings and bit(s) with the kits that use them, in small cardboard boxes. Doesn't work very well, but that's how I try to do it. [:eek:)]

Happy turning,
txbob

Firefyter-emt

[:D] How about this one??

BTW, it's about a 1.5 meg download in pdf format.
Bought & paid for by me, so feel free to borow a copy.
http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/drill-bit-cabinet.pdf

I have not done it yet, but this will soon be on the wall near that big Walker Turner press in my shop. Don't be fooled by how big it looks, take a peek at the cut list, the thing is about 20" tall by 6" deep!

kenwc

Bob,

I don't have any pics right now but I bought a plastic drill bit stand from McMaster Carr that I like and I also picked up a metal one on eBay that is the same style that the Harbor Freight center punches come with. I like it to...BUT...having said that I am soon to buy a smaller sized Huot drill bit storage/unit. (sometimes they are miss-spelled as Hout in eBay) They are pricey but you can get them on eBay at a decent price sometimes.

Something like this....Search on "Drill bit storage"

http://store.huot-store.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HO&Product_Code=13166&Category_Code=

I keep my Forstner bits in a length of 2 X 2 poplar and I've not had any problems with rust or corrosion for two years now.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bob,

I took a piece of 2x4 and drilled several holes into it. I then screwed it to the wall close to the drill press. My "pen turning" drills go into the holes in order of size, flutes up. I used a Sharpie to label the holes and have my chart of what drill sizes are needed for each kit I do posted on the wall just under the 2x4. Total cost - $0, unless you count the cost of the piece of paper I printed the list on. Everything else was lying around the shop.

Pipes

I got 3 sets in the metal boxes and a pile in a cigar box and more in one of my 3 roll away drawers :O) there tools there NOT gona break :O) and I just wipem down with a oli rag after use I always keep handy !! [:D]And with a Drill Dr I never much worry about a dull bit anymore [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom