I NEED HELP!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bryfox86

bryfox86

So I smoke a e-cigarette and am really starting to have fun with it. That being said... the part that you put your mouth on to inhale the water vapor is removable. there are places that are making acrylic ones and some are making wood ones.

I have been playing with them for the past week or two and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn these tiny little things. They have a 3mm hole in the center and are about 1" long. any help would be great!!!

I DID NOT TURN THESE AND DO NOT TAKE CREDIT... THESE ARE JUST FOR REFERENCE SO I CAN DO SOME FOR MYSELF

DSCN2508.jpg

PawnGrup1.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Its one of those that I'd have to have a go and see how it worked out but....
I think I would mount the blank between centres then form a small dovetail tenon to suit my chuck at what will become the smaller rubber ring end of the finished item-remove from centres and mount it in my chuck then drill the hole using the tailstock- make the shape you want- sand it etc then finally part of the finished item at the smaller rubber ring end and maybe just hand finish that end to tidy it up.

KenV

There are several ways to mount the material. Given the use select materials like, acrylics, truesrone, M3 , or stabalized wood would be good choices. Cheap materials to practice, then better stuff.

My memory is that you are a pretty new turner. This will be more challenging than you might guess.

Many of us have 4 jaw scroll chucks or collet chucks ( or both).

You will need a decent dial or electronic read calipers. (Careful in selection because many of the lower end electronic calipers go through batteries very quickly).

I would make a "cove tool " from a 1/8 by 2 1/2 hss toolbit to make the Oring groove. I can do the rest with a small skew, but would grab a small parting tool for the shoulder. The parting tool could be used for the tenon, and to part it off.

If you do not yet have a chuck, you will need a faceplate for mounting the turning at some point.

Last edited:

Justturnin

I would do it like I do my Acorns and ornaments. I use a 5/8"or 3/4" collet. I take a piece of Hardwood and turn it to 5/8" or 3/4" and put it in the collet. I then turn down the end to, in your case, 3mm and CA the piece on being careful not to get CA in the hole just the outside edge. I usually push the piece in tight and the drip CA around the edge and enough will soak in to make it stick. I turn it down and then part right down that CA line, if you did not get CA in the hole it should pop right out.

Top Bottom