I need help with wood type

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rccrazybill

rccrazybill

My wife purchased these from an antique shop. After removing 65 million layers (not really but close!!) of the ugliest paint I'm seeing some nice looking wood but I do not know what it is. if Anyone recognizes it please let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rccrazybill

First it was varnished , The original layer looks like some sort of poly. The chair is very heavy and stripped down super smooth. Even after letting the stripper sit for a while the wood stayed rock hard. I'm very confused[:p]

Russianwolf

I'm going to desent and say Maple.

The grain looks way too tight for oak in the pictures, but it's hard to tell for sure. Can you take a nice closeup of the seat?

whatwoodido

I would say White Oak, though not quartersawn. When a piece of white oak is turned and the grain is straight you get some rays on opposite sides. There was a nice comment on telling the difference between Red and White Oak in the current issue of Wood Magazine.

great12b4ever

I would say White Oak. The flecks on the close-up and the grain showing on the carved seat back is what I am basing this on. Plus, Bill indicated that it had been varnished first before painting, thus filling any open-grain wood. His remark that it was very heavy also lends it to be White Oak.

low_48

I say definitely not oak. You can see flecks in beech, maple, sycamore, and cherry. But I know it's not cherry.I would go with beech or sycamore.

rccrazybill

Thanks for all the input. I will try to take a close picture. I have Leopardwood blanks with the same spotting on it ? The leopardwood is a lot darker but these chairs have similar patterns? I'm trying to figure it out to decide if I'm going to dye or paint them.[:p] Whatever they are there very old and still rock solid. [:p]

Top Bottom