I need help disassembling a click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

404NotFound

Basically, I didn't read the instructions and when I pressed it together, I seem to have destroyed the clicker part. I need to somehow remove the upper part of the pen that is pressed into the tube without destroying the acrylic. One of the photos I attached shows the damage to the ink cartridge. Mostly I just want to save my acrylic piece because it was the first one I turned successfully.

This is the kit: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...5b8469702d2f2f0014b8,57645bee69702d2f2f0014bb

Attachments

• 20200721_124805.jpg
    20200721_124805.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20200721_124827.jpg
    20200721_124827.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200721_124847.jpg
    20200721_124847.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20200721_124857.jpg
    20200721_124857.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

There are specialty tools made for pen disassembly. They primarily consist of a gripping tool to grip the blank without damaging it and a set of punches that can be inserted and tapped to push the parts out. You should be able to find "disassembly" tools on the vendor web sites like the "Pen Disassembly and Transfer Punch Set" from Woodcraft or the Disassembly and Punch Combo kit from PSI (which is currently on sale).

Typically disassembly like this would be done by gripping the blank with something that has a soft grip like a locking plyers with a piece of surgical tubing or soft rubber between the plyers and the blank in order to protect it. Then by selecting the largest diameter of transfer punch that will fit into the tube from the opposite end and tapping the punch to push the stuff out.

In a pinch, a rubber jaw on a vise or other kind of rubber protector can be used to hold the blank. If you do not have transfer punches, I suppose a drill bit may suffice. Insert the back of the bit into the tube and tap on the cutting end using a block of wood or something between the hammer and the drill bit as to not damage the bit. The specialty tools are of course better designed for the task, but in a pinch I have improvised in the past. Just make sure to use the biggest diameter punch that will fit into the tube (or through the adapter that was pressed in.

Of course there is always some risk of damage involved whenever one squeezes and hammers on things.

You might also google for videos related to pen kit disassembly. I know that Bob at RJB Woodturner has a video that uses Allen wrenches as temporary punches to disassemble a pen. I don't know if this link still works, but here is Bob's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_W7SX7jp8E). I learned a tremendous amount about turning by following Bob's videos.

Good luck with your attempt.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

Reactions: DrD

magpens

I see that the refill appears damaged at the top end.

If you have a new refill, give that a try. . Might be as simple as that.

Dehn0045

transfer punch set: https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html

vice tool for golf shaft (I cut in half): https://www.ebay.com/p/1063001149?iid=181659665609

Click pens can be tricky, you dont want to bang on a plastic piece with a transfer punch. In this thread ( https://www.penturners.org/threads/stratus-disassembly.165018/ ) I showed how I made a little plastic piece from delrin rod to grip the metal piece on a stratus and twist it out without damaging the clicker. Be carefuly, because some pense have pieces that are just thin metal, and if you try to grip them too hard it'll just bend (like the lower portion of the bolt action - learned that the hard way).

Reactions: DrD

Woodfreak

Greetings from Nebraska.

There are specialty tools made for pen disassembly. They primarily consist of a gripping tool to grip the blank without damaging it and a set of punches that can be inserted and tapped to push the parts out. You should be able to find "disassembly" tools on the vendor web sites like the "Pen Disassembly and Transfer Punch Set" from Woodcraft or the Disassembly and Punch Combo kit from PSI (which is currently on sale).

Typically disassembly like this would be done by gripping the blank with something that has a soft grip like a locking plyers with a piece of surgical tubing or soft rubber between the plyers and the blank in order to protect it. Then by selecting the largest diameter of transfer punch that will fit into the tube from the opposite end and tapping the punch to push the stuff out.

In a pinch, a rubber jaw on a vise or other kind of rubber protector can be used to hold the blank. If you do not have transfer punches, I suppose a drill bit may suffice. Insert the back of the bit into the tube and tap on the cutting end using a block of wood or something between the hammer and the drill bit as to not damage the bit. The specialty tools are of course better designed for the task, but in a pinch I have improvised in the past. Just make sure to use the biggest diameter punch that will fit into the tube (or through the adapter that was pressed in.

Of course there is always some risk of damage involved whenever one squeezes and hammers on things.

You might also google for videos related to pen kit disassembly. I know that Bob at RJB Woodturner has a video that uses Allen wrenches as temporary punches to disassemble a pen. I don't know if this link still works, but here is Bob's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_W7SX7jp8E). I learned a tremendous amount about turning by following Bob's videos.

Good luck with your attempt.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)
There is an excellent Web blog by a good friend of mine Walter Hall. Just Google his name followed by pen disassembling. Very informative. What Walter does not know about pen turning, is not worth knowing.

Top Bottom