I might like making blanks more than pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Here's the attachment.
IMG_1870.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

iamrohn

I love seeing these.. while I'm a long, long way from even thinking about approaching this quality, seeing all these examples serve as great inspiration while I practice and figure stuff out

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

howsitwork

Ken

what do the " mark of ZORRO " style ones too right end up looking like please?

Brilliant display of blanks, any chance of a series of photos of the various jigs to inspire us?

leehljp

Member Liaison
WOW!

Ken, I think you just found yourself a new day job!!! The quality AND design are high end, very precise. I hate to tell you that because I would not want to pay you for what they are worth based on the eye-candy appeal! You just might start charging what they are worth! ;) Very artistic and elegant!

I do hope you decide to make this a sideline at the least. Beautiful work!

KenB259

WOW!

Ken, I think you just found yourself a new day job!!! The quality AND design are high end, very precise. I hate to tell you that because I would not want to pay you for what they are worth based on the eye-candy appeal! You just might start charging what they are worth! ;) Very artistic and elegant!

I do hope you decide to make this a sideline at the least. Beautiful work!

I've never sold any. I would worry that someone that maybe wasn't at a skill level to turn a segmented blank would have one blow up and end up blaming me.

jttheclockman

Nothing against your creations but I am actually tired of seeing those Gisi style blanks. They make those with those printers these days. FB has so many people doing them. You did good on all and why not sell them?? You can make some money at least more than making pens. Try doing some scallops too. People like them too. Go crazy and reinvent the scallop. Make scallops within scallops. you do not see that much. your work is precision and you should be proud of it and I am sure others would be proud to own and turn your blanks.

JohnU

I agree with you also Ken. I enjoy making blanks more than pens. For me it's like Christmas when I open the tank to see a successful blank. Love the segments! Sky's the limit, Keep it up !

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've never sold any. I would worry that someone that maybe wasn't at a skill level to turn a segmented blank would have one blow up and end up blaming me.

I have been very picky with my Chevron Finial Blanks. After a few customer splatters, which I replaced, I now only will send out fully turned chevron finial inlays.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 149

KenB259

Nothing against your creations but I am actually tired of seeing those Gisi style blanks. They make those with those printers these days. FB has so many people doing them. You did good on all and why not sell them?? You can make some money at least more than making pens. Try doing some scallops too. People like them too. Go crazy and reinvent the scallop. Make scallops within scallops. you do not see that much. your work is precision and you should be proud of it and I am sure others would be proud to own and turn your blanks.

I have seen the 3D printed molds, but I've never seen a pen made from them. I have sold quite a few of them and I enjoy making the blanks.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Very nice work! I too enjoy making blanks as much or more than pens although when I do both it's pretty satisfying to see something you made from start to finish. Well almost I still buy the kits. I'm nowhere near ready to go kitless so my hats off to those who do. Another way to think about selling is how much money do you have tied up in material? If you can get that plus a few bucks then that will give you cash to buy more for yourself. The hobby will become cheaper because in my case the kits are what adds up. I try to take care of my friends and I just ask them to send a finished picture of the pen and that's good enough for me. I'm not trying to run retailers out of business because my quality not there yet and honestly that's the last thing I'd want to do. Blank making is a hobby inside a hobby.

jttheclockman

They are all over FB. Turned as pens and also sold as blanks. There must be money in selling blanks because that is all you see people doing these days. Just look at this site, it has become a haven for blank selling. People here sell blanks and never made a pen. You would do well. Start here and expand. People take on the responsibility of knowing how to turn any blank when they buy them. It is not the sellers problem unless there is a flaw in their work and that has happened too.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ken, I understand the feeling behind someone having a blowout on one of your blanks. Very few with average skill will take responsibility for blowouts on a purchased blank. I enjoyed it the first time in reading an old timer (Eagle) describing the length he went to in order to prevent a blowout. It was a combination of pure skill, sharp tool, hesitation, feel, wrapping the blank in string (before someone came up with using gauze) and CAing the heck out of it, taking tiny bites and backing off.

That said, I agree 100% with John on your precision and the color matching is absolutely great! Please consider it. That is too nice of artistry to keep to yourself! 🙂

howsitwork

I think you mean the plain old, ever popular, Celtic knots. The long ones are just not sized for a pen yet.

Thanks Ken

thought you had to have a complete X to get a decent celtic style knot so a Z works too, you can tell I haven't had any success yet with this technique but will keep trying.

I admire the precision and joint quality visible in those photos.

Top Bottom