I Made a Video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

No your not alone !! I would collect woods with beautiful grains, bring it home, and have no idea what I was going to use it for. I am a great follower of James Krenof and his idea of letting the wood speak to you. You know, in thirty years, some of that wood has never even whispered to me. It got to a point where I would just finish one side of it and set it on the shelf to look at it every now and then. My storage area has racks that hold lumber in lengths up to 20 feet, my shop has shelves that hold shorter lengths and cut offs, there is a short cutoff box next to my table saw for anything 2 feet or less. Next to my band saw is a cabinet that holds anything that is big enough to be made into pen blankes. Under one work bench is a plastic bin for holding any blank cutoffs that could be used someday. Finaly, there is a true "going in the garbage" box. This usualy contains used sandpaper, cardboard, paper towels, burnt out light bulbs, and, yes, the rare piece of wood that can no longer be held safely to make anything. I don't consider myself to be a hoarder, just a conservator of nature so to speak!! Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

Jim-

That's practically poetry! I'm glad to know that more of us have the sickness!

Peter; I have a confession to make !! I forgot about the pile of logs outside of the a shop from trees that have fallen on my property, and I just had to save a few pieces. Sorry, I'm BAD. Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
GREAT VIDEO!!

You are very SICK! There is help... I know, I am afflicted also!

I Related to your points - enjoy, use up that nice wood.

Thanks for sharing your pain!

ossaguy

I really enjoyed watching your video.

I can relate to a lot of that.I just love looking at all the grain and figuring in wood.

Thanks for posting it!

Steve

jaygeedubya

My wife sews and quilts and for years, I have lamented (read as "moaned and complained") about the big room full of fabric - she is always buying "finds" that she will use for something some day. Since I got heavily into turning and pens, I complain no more (and don't let her into the garage to see my growing stash).

jamie

kludge77

My wife sews and quilts and for years, I have lamented (read as "moaned and complained") about the big room full of fabric - she is always buying "finds" that she will use for something some day. Since I got heavily into turning and pens, I complain no more (and don't let her into the garage to see my growing stash).

jamie

I'm with you! My wife is a scrapbooker and has an entire bookshelf full of different paper. We pretend the others obsession is perfectly normal to avoid having to cull our own supplies...

ohiococonut

Wood hoarding has become an obsession of mine since I started pen turning, it got me interested in CNC wood routing.
Now I have two cnc machines and I buy planks & boards of exotic wood for my carvings/engravings and furniture making. I have totes of scrap pieces that I will "someday" cut into pen blanks. I hate to even throw away the smallest piece if it can be used for a segment in a pen.
The problem is, some of the planks I buy just stand there looking beautiful. I just run my hands over them and admire them without the slightest concern of doing anything with it. They will probably remain standing in my shop and be left for someone else to deal with. One of my most cherished pieces is waterfall bubinga that measures 3/4"x18"x 83". It's not the largest or most expensive but certainly the most beautiful piece to look at in my eyes.
My wife is no help either. She always goes with me to the store and always finds an exceptional board or two and says "you can make something out of it" :confused: At least I try to have some idea in my head what I want or at least what I can do with it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
What's even crazier is I don't create anything to sell, I do it just because I enjoy it and don't anyone try to stop me :biggrin:

raar25

Sorry I cant relate. I have one rack for bowl wood and one set of hanging pockets for pen blanks and wont bring anymore wood into the shop until I start using what I have. But good luck there is therapy out there for people who have conditions like this.

Top Bottom