I made a rock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

I needed a photo prop in a black/gray color option. I decided to make one so I'd get the right shape. It ended up looking kind of like a potato, but it works. It was carved out of Styrofoam and painted with acrylic craft paints (various blends of black, white, and brown). I carved barely noticeable ridges so that I can lay pens across it in various directions and they won't roll off. Don't mind the messy pen pictures. I usually clean off the fuzz and fingerprints and keep the reflector (tin foil glued to cardboard) out of the frame.

This was an idea I got from a friend years ago and used to make a stabilizing base for a 55 gallon aquarium. I used sheets and carved rocks around the edges. They were painted more brown, but the idea was to set the tank on top of the foam so it could absorb any slight dips on the top of the MDF stand. Anyway what do you think? Does it look real? Maybe a little more dry brushing or stippling?

foamrock1.jpgfoamrock2.jpgfoamrock3.jpgfoamrock4.jpgfoamrock5.jpgfoamrock6.jpgfoamrock7.jpgfoamrock8.jpgfoamrock9.jpgfoamrock10.jpgrocktest1.jpgrocktest2.jpgrocktest3.jpgrocktest4.jpgrocktest5.jpgrocktest6.jpgrocktest7.jpgrocktest8.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Very nice and creative, too! Plus, it's lightweight.
A friend did a huge background for an aquarium with the same method. Not sure what paint he used, though.

howsitwork

I do make magic wands, too. They are fun to make and look cook, but so far I haven't found the right materials to get them working properly.
you need sapient pear wood , and a careful study of the books of Terry Pratchett

howsitwork

🤔 I wonder where I might find some of that. I have some Bradford Pear. Now, I was thinking about checking out the Discworld books, but then I'd have to step away from the lathe to read them.
Ah here in the UK we are very advanced, not just in age. 😉!

We have AUDIO BOOKS. where some prominent celebrity or the author reads their books and you can get it on CD ,( old fashioned but effective ) or download . One can then listen on ear buds or some such whilst relaxing turning.

Dont think bradford pear will work though. Maybe ask " the luggage " if it has any shavings you could try out ?

sorcerertd

"I made a rock" - title... For some reason made me think of Charlie Brown. Intentional?

View attachment 353578
Yes, that was pretty much my first thought.

I don't need to make rocks, just a short hick around the back hill will give me any and all I need.
I could do that, but this one won't scratch anything and I cut it in such a way that it will hold a pen in multiple directions without having to find that perfect spot and/or put something behind it to stop it from rolling. That's why I wanted to make one, just so the pen would sit stably.

Top Bottom