I like it....a lot!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Recently, Wifey asked me to make a pen for one of her quilting friends so we dug through my acrylic stash and ultimately chose this wonderful blue. Her quilting friend is a former architect, math teacher and now runs a quilting business and teaches quilting. She is a no frills person so Wifey thought the Zen matched her style while still being a classy pen. We think she will like it.
The pen blank is a Blue Amedeo mounted on a Chrome Zen Roller Ball. I am really pleased with the outcome!

BTW: These blanks are available from Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks.

5DA2B1DF-7613-4028-AD69-98BD82814730.jpeg
508AA7B8-9CAA-437E-8BF2-C9D77D7F492C.jpeg
A6505C5E-F9A5-4B2A-B95A-3C34C1DA8EF2.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

Recently, Wifey asked me to make a pen for one of her quilting friends so we dug through my acrylic stash and ultimately chose this wonderful blue. Her quilting friend is a former architect, math teacher and now runs a quilting business and teaches quilting. She is a no frills person so Wifey thought the Zen matched her style while still being a classy pen. We think she will like it.
The pen blank is a Blue Amedeo mounted on a Chrome Zen Roller Ball. I am really pleased with the outcome!

BTW: These blanks are available from Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks.

View attachment 227305View attachment 227306View attachment 227307
How could the recipient NOT like it? That is a beautiful piece - thanks for sharing. P.S. awesome photography

Charlie_W

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I have used this blank before but it has been a while....it was good to see it's beauty again.

No tube or blank paint. Simply glued in a raw /sanded tube with epoxy.

Photo: Taken in my unfinished basement with IPhone 8 on a tripod. The only editing was cropping and adjusting the light setting.
No light tent...just the set up you see below. Reflections used to drive me crazy...tried a home made light tent and still reflections......tough with shiny components and a polished blank. Now, I just go with what is easy.

Background: This is a piece of textured glass and is raised up off the paper backdrop about 3/4". This allows the shadows to pass through the glass and almost disappear leaving no shadowing directly under the pen.
I have used other textured glass as well. Glass was leftover from my stained glass days.
See pics below.

37CE0399-9AC1-413E-B425-340A662B7496.jpeg
F3334072-361B-4B44-89CB-9286AF07454E.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Charlie - the pen is wonderful. Kudos in all respects.
Then the photography, and the additional hints for us "photo-challenged." Excellent and thank you. Simple is often better.

The blank is wonderful and perks my interest... I need to explore blanks other than itsy bitsy slivers of wood. ;) . Well done.

MTViper

Beautiful job. My wife is a quilter as well. A few times since I started turning, I've taken some of her quilt fabric, glued it around some tubes and encased it in poly. The turned pens were a real hit with the quilt guild and made great Christmas presents for the other quilters. I've done some for seam rippers as well. They love those.

Charlie_W

Beautiful job. My wife is a quilter as well. A few times since I started turning, I've taken some of her quilt fabric, glued it around some tubes and encased it in poly. The turned pens were a real hit with the quilt guild and made great Christmas presents for the other quilters. I've done some for seam rippers as well. They love those.

Good idea with the fabric. I turned some wooden stilettos and a few went to their guild auction. Others were gifts.
67FA87F9-8569-4F09-B48F-3F8540B1A3F8.jpeg

PenPal

Hi Charlie I called my wife just a former prodigeous quilter since the 1960,s,at one time we had over 300 quilts in our spare bedroom all made by her and every stitch by hand.

She found all of your pens breathtaking the initial one for your wife she gave you a rave rating mate. Myself I admired the complex detail you use to achieve simplicity of presentation, the wavy glass inspiration. When we built our church Chapel over 50 yrs ago with all voluntary labour the supervisor and his wife came from Utah for two years. The influence of his wife had us build in a shallow,concertina folding doors to accomodate a Quilting frame around which they, our members and other wonderful woman learned and shared the craft of Quilting.

So my friend full marks from Wilma and me.

Kind regards Peter.

tomtedesco

My wife is also a quilter so I began using a piece of the fabric from the quilt wrapped around the tube and cast in clear PR. She then gives away a quilt with a matching pen. Your choice of materials is fantastic great work.

Top Bottom