I learned something today!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

I was discussing an idea for pens to give nurses with a friend in nursing school. I showed her a pic from the internet, that used Caduceus the symbol with two coiled snakes.
wrong.jpg

Found out this is not really the correct medical symbol.
The Caduceus is a symbol of Hermes or Mercury in Greek and Roman mythology. Caduceus symbol is identified with thieves, merchants, and messengers, and Mercury is said to be a patron of thieves and outlaws, not a desirable protector of physicians.

The Rod of Asclepius which is a single snake is actually the correct one.
right.png

The Rod of Asclepius belongs to Aesculapius, who was the revered Greek god of healing.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

The erroneous usage of the caduceus as the symbol of medicine was popularized by a mistake in 1902 when the US Army Medical Corps adopted it as their insignia.

Kenny Durrant

That's for the information. I too learned something. I was told the they were both medical and depending on if there was one or two snake it was different levels or types of doctors or nurses.

Alan Morrison

Interestingly, in around 1410 BC, Moses was instructed to erect a pole with a brass serpent atop in the desert so that those who looked upon it were healed.
Numbers 21 v 8-9.
The greek Rod of Asclepius symbol is thought to date around the 8th century BC and to be derived from the Hebrew symbol.

I too learned a similar lesson when making a graduation pen for our daughter earning a Masters in Respiratory Therapy. RRT, not RT. I remade the pen correctly and put the other aside for a few years. Just recently gave it to my Chiropractor who will present it to his son in a couple of months when he receives his Radiology degree.

Not sure about the Thieves and Merchants but I wore a Caduceus on my left arm on my U.S. Navy uniform for some time on my rank/rate patch. It was part of being a Navy Corpsman and every Corpsman I've ever known wore it proudly.

I appreciated every Navy corpsman I ever met, except the one that was a full blooded Navajo when I was in the hospital on Guam.
After a surgery I was in a little pain and the doctor had instructed him to give me a short of morphine.... he did, in the dark, in the back side of my arm... the morphine felt good, but the next morning my arm didn't move very well... I had one H...of a time drinking my coffee and eating breakfast with an rm that wouldn't reach my mouth without excruciating pain. Still have a lot of respect for the rating, even the Navajp, and especially the guys who served with the marines.

Top Bottom