I improvised after a catch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brailsmt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The bottom picture, is that a Classic pen kit? If so, how was the transmission on it. I've made two Classics now and both have had really rough transmissions that require I pull them out, soak in acetone and then put a drop of WD40 in them to smooth the transmission. You experience any problems?

Woodchipper

Very nice pens. However, there are no catches, just design modifications. Good recovery. Most of us have had the same thing happen. All part of the learning process, no matter how long one has been turning pens or whatever else can be turned on a lathe.

OZturner

Nice Display of Pens and a Razor Michael,
Pen 1,(the Slim Line), the Bulb at the Nib end is very common, as it increases the holding diameter for easier control, but requires caution on the down hill, as it is easy to get too Deep at the edge, and create a gap, instead of a smooth transition.

Pen 2, The Transition at the Nib and Clip ends look fine, though the Center Band looks good on the Lower Blank, but appears too low on the Upper Blank.

Razor, The Transition at the Blade end, looks reasonable, though the angle of the Photograph, doesn't show enough. The Handle End, with the angle shows quite a Furry edge with something sticking up.

The Final Pen looks very good, only a small gap on the Center Band Transition.

I have tended to dwell on the Transitions, as these can Differentiate between a Good Pen, and an Excellent Pen, to the User and Buyer.
Your Items have many Excellent and Redeeming Features, Your Selection of Blanks, and your Finishes, are Excellent, the rest will come with your Continuing Recognition, and Practice.
Well done,
Brian.

brailsmt

Nice Display of Pens and a Razor Michael,
Pen 1,(the Slim Line), the Bulb at the Nib end is very common, as it increases the holding diameter for easier control, but requires caution on the down hill, as it is easy to get too Deep at the edge, and create a gap, instead of a smooth transition.

Pen 2, The Transition at the Nib and Clip ends look fine, though the Center Band looks good on the Lower Blank, but appears too low on the Upper Blank.

Razor, The Transition at the Blade end, looks reasonable, though the angle of the Photograph, doesn't show enough. The Handle End, with the angle shows quite a Furry edge with something sticking up.

The Final Pen looks very good, only a small gap on the Center Band Transition.

I have tended to dwell on the Transitions, as these can Differentiate between a Good Pen, and an Excellent Pen, to the User and Buyer.
Your Items have many Excellent and Redeeming Features, Your Selection of Blanks, and your Finishes, are Excellent, the rest will come with your Continuing Recognition, and Practice.
Well done,
Brian.

I appreciate the honest critiques. It lets me know what I've done well, and what I need to focus on. I appreciate the positive along with the areas where I need improvement, after all I've only been at this less than two months. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom