I hope whoever gifted this blank to me remembers it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is an Antique Copper Diamond Knurl Rollerball from Exotic Blanks. I figured it was about time that I slow down on Alumilite pens for a while and make one with wood for a change. As the title says, I hope the person that gifted the blank to me remembers it. If it is you, please let me know if you remember what kind of wood it is. I'm pretty sure that someone gifted the blank to me as part of a PITH sometime in the past 6 or 7 years. I usually keep track of those kind of things, but for some reason this one escaped. It was a 3/4" x 5" blank of some kind of spalted wood. The blank had been stabilized. I think it made an amazing pen and I would certainly like to recognize and thank the person that sent it to me. Even the custom turned cabochon turned out really great! I used GluBoost and a coat of Renaissance Wax for the finish.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3918 Cropped.jpg

Click on the thumbnails to Zoom-In
IMG_3910 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3911 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3912 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3913 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3914 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3915 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BoonareeBurl

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is an Antique Copper Diamond Knurl Rollerball from Exotic Blanks. I figured it was about time that I slow down on Alumilite pens for a while and make one with wood for a change. As the title says, I hope the person that gifted the blank to me remembers it. If it is you, please let me know if you remember what kind of wood it is. I'm pretty sure that someone gifted the blank to me as part of a PITH sometime in the past 6 or 7 years. I usually keep track of those kind of things, but for some reason this one escaped. It was a 3/4" x 5" blank of some kind of spalted wood. The blank had been stabilized. I think it made an amazing pen and I would certainly like to recognize and thank the person that sent it to me. Even the custom turned cabochon turned out really great! I used GluBoost and a coat of Renaissance Wax for the finish.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 360379

Click on the thumbnails to Zoom-In
View attachment 360373
View attachment 360374
View attachment 360375
View attachment 360376
View attachment 360377
View attachment 360378
Whoever receives that pen from you will surely never forget you. Beautiful!

G

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Dave, this is absolutely one of the nicer pens I have seen here recently; one that I would be very proud of. (no critique to the many excellent others - just personal preference). The blank is superb. The pairing with the kit and plating is spot on. The turning and finish is excellent. The finial really adds a superb element that I love. OK, so I really, really like this pen!

Be well, Mark ;)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I was going to say spalted hackberry or spalted maple. It's similar as well to some spalted maple I have, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't come from me either.

MRDucks2

I would lean towards the spalted maple, pecan or tamarind. I have a lot of spalted hackberry from the Midwest and call it the "digital wood" because the spalt lines tend to be tiny zig-zags, looking like some from nature's dot matrix printer.

Hubert H

Interesting the different thoughts about the kind of wood. I know what the wood is. BEAUTIFUL! Nice work on the pen.

cmiller

Hi Dave, I'm quite sure this is spalted maple. It's a little dark, so probably stabilized? (Anyone else notice stabilized wood gets a little darker?)

I have a lot just like this. I like to trade once in a while, but I don't remember trading with you. If you want more, just let me know.

Colin

ZanderPommo

Looks like spalted hackberry. I've seen some spalted sycamore with a similar grain pattern as well, though usually sycamore's grain pattern is a bit moreā€¦pronounced I suppose.

Oh, also it's a fine looking pen. šŸ‘

Top Bottom