I hop we did the right thing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

My wife and I have hired caregivers to attend her 91 year old father. He has dementia too. There was a second case of hostility with the caregivers. The night caregiver has only been working 6 weeks. and has done a n excellent job. THe trouble seems to be coming from the day worker. Yesterday he actually has made the night caregiver cry. telling her is not doing the job right. I he boss have asked him to make a list of items we need to purchase at the store. He he tells the night person to do it. He has continued to not give the 91 year old instructed orders from the doctor reducing he salt intake. yet Bob blood pressure is below 100 daliy. The list could go on and on.

So we let him go today. Disobeying the doctor orders is enough I think but he now is creating a hostile work environment. My wife father said it all today. " Thank you for sending me Lily. That's the new day worker. He had a asmile on his face tonight when I saw him

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

I was a little confused in trying to follow some of this, but I think I got the general idea and it sounds like you made a well-reasoned decision and the end result was good!

Ligget

You did the right thing Bill, unfortunately there are good and bad workers in every profession, sounds like your father in law is right behind your decision too. Well done!

Fred

I agree with your decision and do believe that there are good, not so good, and miserable caregivers out there.

Demand references and follow-up on them all.

I was a health fraud investigator for many years and have some terrible war stories about care givers.

BTW, for you and others that read this ... I would advise you to physically look at and closely examine on a regular basis anyone that you have in the care of any 'care giver.' This is especially necessary IF the individual has several or different caregivers. Have a camera ready if anything appears "out of place." Report ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to the facility - after you document the problem(s) - and to the County and State health authorities. Be prepared to prosecute as well.

I have seen elderly men and women that have suffered broken bones, beatings, being left unattended for hours, almost starved, medications withheld, etc. at the hands of unscrupulous care givers.

You as family members MUST help protect the elderly at every turn.

THarvey

I agree with your decision and do believe that there are good, not so good, and miserable caregivers out there.

Demand references and follow-up on them all.

I was a health fraud investigator for many years and have some terrible war stories about care givers.

BTW, for you and others that read this ... I would advise you to physically look at and closely examine on a regular basis anyone that you have in the care of any 'care giver.' This is especially necessary IF the individual has several or different caregivers. Have a camera ready if anything appears "out of place." Report ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to the facility - after you document the problem(s) - and to the County and State health authorities. Be prepared to prosecute as well.

I have seen elderly men and women that have suffered broken bones, beatings, being left unattended for hours, almost starved, medications withheld, etc. at the hands of unscrupulous care givers.

You as family members MUST help protect the elderly at every turn.

Great advice. I would also add:

Get to know your State Ombudsman (or Patient Care Advocate) on a personal level. During the last years of my Grandmother's life, a personal relationship with the Ombudsman's office helped keep things under a watchful eye.

Vary your routine of when you visit a family member. Do not make a habit of showing up at similar times/days etc. Also, do not always enter the same doors, or take the same routes to the room. The "care takers" will notice your routine and make sure everything is in order when they know you normally arrive. My mother would walk into the facility various times day or night to check on my Grandmother.

I lived out of town and would stop in when ever I was in the area. I have walked into facilities at 2:00am and found nurse's stations and the entire wing empty of care takers. It is amazing the reaction when you walk into an empty nurse's station and flip an "all call" switch.

Daniel

Bill, You made the right decision, the day caregiver did not, continualy. Not an easy thing to for you and my hat is off to you.

Top Bottom