Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tablesawed

So I am starting from scratch... I am going to be using a chuck with pen drilling jaws probably a vic 120 or a G3, I am going to pick up a Fisch pen drill bit kit, I am very interested in the Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear pen mandrel and pen mill and inserts. I have a decent table saw and it's going to get a sled, built for pen blanks ( with hold downs so I do not remove fingers). I have to however find a lathe... I was set on a Ricon 70-220vsc and THEY STOPPED MAKING IT in favor of the 150grrrr

so I made an excell and I hope it comes up right here... If i missed an obvious contender let me know.

Thanks! Chris

Attachments

• lathe comparisons.xlsx
    13 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tablesawed

So I am starting from scratch... I am going to be using a chuck with pen drilling jaws probably a vic 120 or a G3, I am going to pick up a Fisch pen drill bit kit, I am very interested in the Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear pen mandrel and pen mill and inserts. I have a decent table saw and it's going to get a sled, built for pen blanks ( with hold downs so I do not remove fingers). I have to however find a lathe... I was set on a Ricon 70-220vsc and THEY STOPPED MAKING IT in favor of the 150grrrr

so I made an excell and I hope it comes up right here... If i missed an obvious contender let me know.

Thanks! Chris
If sombody has the skills to show my excel here, please do so.

monophoto

Chris

There are some additional factors that I would consider including in the comparison:

1. Does the lathe include a forward/reverse switch?
2. Which end of the lathe (headstock or tailstock) are the controls located? If you don't currently have a lathe, it may not matter, but its safety-critical that you automatically reach for the correct end in an emergency. My experience is that retraining yourself to switch from one end to the other can be challenging.
3. Dimensions and weights. Dimensions are important if you have limited shop space, and weight is important because the shipper will deliver it to your front door and leave it to you to muscle it to its final location.

Tablesawed

Chris

There are some additional factors that I would consider including in the comparison:

1. Does the lathe include a forward/reverse switch?
2. Which end of the lathe (headstock or tailstock) are the controls located? If you don't currently have a lathe, it may not matter, but its safety-critical that you automatically reach for the correct end in an emergency. My experience is that retraining yourself to switch from one end to the other can be challenging.
3. Dimensions and weights. Dimensions are important if you have limited shop space, and weight is important because the shipper will deliver it to your front door and leave it to you to muscle it to its final location.
I won't consider a lathe without reverse, so I did not include any in my list that do not reverse. My old Lathe was a Nova Comet II and I found the right side controls easily enough, when I had blanks unmake themselves (mostly my fault). All of the lathes on my list are less than 150 pounds (68 Kg) shipping weight so I should be able to manage that with a friend or 2.
I am looking at the Laguna Revo1216, but it has really expensive legs & a short spindle travel, and the record power but the spindl sticks out the back. I honestly prefer the Ricon 70-150's & 70-220's 3"+ tailstock travel since I will be lathe boring blanks and milling them on the lathe. Still just looking for overlooked options trying to stay under 1500 on the lathe. Later I will likley get the nova Viking drill press, floor model, if they didn't discontinue it. So i can limp along with a spindle travel at 2 inches.

gcavin

HI Chris,
I also just started my journey into turning and did a similar comparison. After much research, I choose the Laguno Revo 12/16 and have been very happy with it. I got the short extension and added it to the upper rails, and got the mobility kit. The mobility kit is the quick solution, but someday I will replace it with a mobile cabinet with high-quality 4" casters that allow movement in any direction.
Best wishes
Glynn

MPVic

Thanks! Chris
Try this & good luck.

Attachments

• lathe comparisons.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 152
If you can find the Rikon 70-220vsr still in stock somewhere I would say get it. I have that lathe, great machine. The Woodpecker ultra sheer set is excessively priced but worth it. Have used other vesions of this tool and the Woodpecker is far superior and easier to use.

For the midi lathes in the size you are looking at the Laguna and Jet lathes are basically identical and they are all interchangeable in this category.

Tablesawed

HI Chris,
I also just started my journey into turning and did a similar comparison. After much research, I choose the Laguno Revo 12/16 and have been very happy with it. I got the short extension and added it to the upper rails, and got the mobility kit. The mobility kit is the quick solution, but someday I will replace it with a mobile cabinet with high-quality 4" casters that allow movement in any direction.
Best wishes
Glynn
I am leaning in that direction but I will be building my own stand with a downdraft table and catch wall for shavings with ridiculous amount of light, chuck and tool storage. But the stand is just in the idea phase now.

Tablesawed

If you can find the Rikon 70-220vsr still in stock somewhere I would say get it. I have that lathe, great machine. The Woodpecker ultra sheer set is excessively priced but worth it. Have used other vesions of this tool and the Woodpecker is far superior and easier to use.

For the midi lathes in the size you are looking at the Laguna and Jet lathes are basically identical and they are all interchangeable in this category.
I just saw the Rikon 70-1420vsr, it is the 70-220s apparent successor and is supposed to come out April 7 which is almost exactly my timeline. Some of the specifics are not available yet, a 4" spindle travel, and a 1 1/2 horsepower motor are speaking to me. If they use the same extensions that would be amazing, The 1420 is probably going to get my monies... assuming it comes to market on time.

Top Bottom