I have learned a lot from Ed's Videos at Exotic Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hello all:

Even though I'm not exactly new to penturning, I've found myself passing along a lot of information that I originally learned by watching Ed's videos on the Exotic Blanks site. Recently I went back and reviewed a few of them which is what made me realize that is where I learned a few of the little things that have really improved my turning and my turning knowledge. Here are a few that I would like to recommend:

From about a year ago, "Assemble Junior Series" - a very nice video that explains how to assemble the Junior series pens to provide the best grain alignment. (Usually the instruction sheets do not list the steps in this order and it is the order that is the most important). Things that I have found very useful are comments about "beware of crud" around the center band at about 3:00 minutes in and about alignment due to "Triple start threads" at about 6:20.

Also from about a year ago, "Cigar Pen Design Improvement" - a great video and custom bushing set that Ed has designed which in my opinion greatly improves the fit and feel of the Cigar style pens. I got rid of all of my older style Cigar bushings and have replaced them with Ed's bushings.

Of course Ed has put out many other YouTube videos as well. You can find them on the "Exotics' Short Vids" YouTube channel. Ed also produced many videos like turning with Faux Stone, turning using M3 (metallic blanks), and using a painted dowel to help decide what color to paint the inside of plastic pen blanks that can all be found on the "Ed from ExoticBlanks" YouTube channel.

Best Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

From about a year ago, "Assemble Junior Series" - a very nice video that explains how to assemble the Junior series pens…

I assembled 4 Jrs yesterday. I lined up the fountain nib, and matched the grain to the cap (I apply a thin "line" of blue tape to the outside of both finished barrels before starting).
However it never occurred to me to line up the grain at the other end, for when reposting the cap. All these years, it just never crossed my mind. Thanks, Egnald! Thanks, Ed!

Darios

However it never occurred to me to line up the grain at the other end, for when reposting the cap. All these years, it just never crossed my mind. Thanks, Egnald! Thanks, Ed!
Likewise.

Ed - just one thing - on using blue loctite, if you redo the video you might want to mention that it's slightly corrosive and any overspill should be swabbed out of the tubes before putting in the ink.

Ask me how I know....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Egnald said:
"Even though I'm not exactly new to penturning, I've found myself passing along a lot of information that I originally learned by watching Ed's videos on the Exotic Blanks site

I read this this morning and chuckled a bit. The fantastic worth of IAP was the first thing that crossed my mind.

I came to this site in 2005, with a little knowledge gained from making the early model pens. But I gained far more insight into Penmaking by paying close attention to SOME of the people who posted here, regularly. Since then, I have tested their theories and I often repeat or even augment their wisdom.

Thank-you, Dave, for the recognition. More important thanks to you and all the other active members who continue to pass along what we know, so that new guys can carry the craft forward and build on the old ideas!

That is what makes IAP great!! I am exceptionally happy to be part of the progress!!

Darios

I came to this site in 2005, with a little knowledge gained from making the early model pens. But I gained far more insight into Penmaking by paying close attention to SOME of the people who posted here, regularly. Since then, I have tested their theories and I often repeat or even augment their wisdom.

Thank-you, Dave, for the recognition. More important thanks to you and all the other active members who continue to pass along what we know, so that new guys can carry the craft forward and build on the old ideas!

That is what makes IAP great!! I am exceptionally happy to be part of the progress!!

Herh.
I may not have been elegant in my phrasing but I assure you sir that I intended no offence or insult then.

Top Bottom