I hate it when this happens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Had some trouble with a blank I was hoping to use on a roller ball. I messed up the alignment while turning it round before drilling - turned it too small AND didn't line it up correctly. Thought I would show it anyway. Crooked diamonds...I'll disassemble and throw the blank away.
crooked diamonds 2.jpg
crooked diamonds.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I find that blank really interesting, and I'd like to know the process by which you made it.

It doesn't look as bad as you seem to think !!! . I'm with Chuck ... keep it !!

jttheclockman

There is actually no way to save this because the center portion is off center or otherwise you could have turned the 2 ends off and trued up the diamond portion. hey live and learn. I just made two cigar pens and I tinted one of the blanks with a translucent blue and hard to tell how dark it really is until turned down and find out I should have tinted darker. But live and learn. At least I do not have to throw mine away. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've seen that - on my lathe! I'm getting more and more careful about slowing down. I actually do not turn a lot of pens, so when I have a design ready for tubing/turning I need to slow down as it may have been 3-5 weeks since the last one.

TonyL

If the tube is 3/8ths, there may be enough material to use on a 30 Caliber BA.

SteveJ

I find that blank really interesting, and I'd like to know the process by which you made it.

It doesn't look as bad as you seem to think !!! . I'm with Chuck ... keep it !!

I don't have time to create a full tutorial right now, but I did take some pictures along the way.

1. create a "brick" with just one thin piece of wood sandwiched between two matching pieces (that can be done using three pen blanks by slicing the accent blank to the thickness of the diamond you want). Mark James has shown the bricks he makes for his world famous chevron pens - this is essentially the same thing.

20190824_134037.jpg

2. Slice that blank at about 60 degrees to create small slices with a diamond in the middle. You can save some wood by having your initial glue up be at the angle you are planning on cutting, but I wanted to use some slices off the square end of this brick.

3. Glue the slices aligning the diamonds either horizontally or vertically.

slices.jpg

20190824_134136.jpg

The second picture uses the same slices but orients the diamond in the other direction. I should have used more diamonds for this orientation, it seems too short for my liking. I haven't put these on a blank as of yet.

4. Cut the glued up diamond parallel to the edges to create a thin strip of diamonds. I am using a Byrnes table saw so actually run my fingers pretty close to the blade for the first cut. I didn't take pictures of this, but if I put a tutorial in the library I will get one. For safety, after cutting one side I glued the two pieces of veneer and the solid wood to that side which gave me more material to work with when running through the saw.

5. From there it is just a matter of gluing end camps to the blank to get the right length and turning.

Hope this is enough info!

Credit for this goes to Mark James, who showed how to do the chevron blanks. If you look at his chevron work, each individual chevron is two diamond glued together. Credit also goes to Angela S, this post of hers sparked the idea that diamonds were possible using her method.

magpens

Steve,
Thank you for the mini-tutorial above ... you elucidated the basic ideas.
I can see that the success of the process is highly dependent on the accuracy with which you do it, and every step in the series is vital.
Not quite the same topic with which you started this thread.
Highly useful info for me, so thanks again.

Angela S

Your blank is beautiful. I love the idea of cutting the strips at 60 degrees. I have only ever done 90 degrees and wouldn't have thought to anything else.

Top Bottom