I had soo many problems with this pen! :mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I really liked this wenge wood cause it was a nice dark grain. Would look good with the gold colored kit. So I had the blank cut in two and gorilla glued the tubes. They wound up sitting for a day. When I finally decided to trim them out, I realized that one was going a little too far and noticed the tube coming out the bottom. So I was able to get the tube out, rerough and reglue. They actually set for about 4 days before I finally decided to turn it. So I get it all turned and I bought some lacquer to try that for a finish. First off, I tried to wipe on with a rag but the lacquer wanted to dry before I could get it spread. So I found a little sponge brush and that seemed to work great. I didn't dilute the lacquer, wanted to try it straight from the can. So I get about 6 coats of lacquer, looks decent, and then I applied some renaissance wax. Didn't look too bad. I still think I like the poly finish better though. Anyway, started putting the kit together, everything went ok until I pushed the pen together to say DONE. While pushing, the tube started coming out the back of the pen. :mad: It came out about 3/8". So I got my thin CA glue and was just gonna add some glue and push it back in. The glue dried too fast before I could even push it in. :mad: So the only choice I had was to get a small saw and cut that end off. I was gonna cut another piece from a spare tube and just decided to live without it. No selling it anyway. The gorilla glue worked great on my other pens but it just didn't set right with this wenge wood. Maybe it was too pourus and the glue soaked in to the wood. I have some thick CA glue coming in and will start using that from now on. Anyway, here is the pen with a little super glue on the rear tip that I'll have to live with also I guess. I may see if the wife has some nail polish remover and try to get it off.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Take notes, take notes and take more notes.

Every semi-failure will give you hints to where you want to go. Personally, I learn more from my mistakes than my successes.

And, every species has its quirks; use them to your advantage.

jttheclockman

So I really liked this wenge wood cause it was a nice dark grain. Would look good with the gold colored kit. So I had the blank cut in two and gorilla glued the tubes. They wound up sitting for a day. When I finally decided to trim them out, I realized that one was going a little too far and noticed the tube coming out the bottom. So I was able to get the tube out, rerough and reglue. They actually set for about 4 days before I finally decided to turn it. So I get it all turned and I bought some lacquer to try that for a finish. First off, I tried to wipe on with a rag but the lacquer wanted to dry before I could get it spread. So I found a little sponge brush and that seemed to work great. I didn't dilute the lacquer, wanted to try it straight from the can. So I get about 6 coats of lacquer, looks decent, and then I applied some renaissance wax. Didn't look too bad. I still think I like the poly finish better though. Anyway, started putting the kit together, everything went ok until I pushed the pen together to say DONE. While pushing, the tube started coming out the back of the pen. :mad: It came out about 3/8". So I got my thin CA glue and was just gonna add some glue and push it back in. The glue dried too fast before I could even push it in. :mad: So the only choice I had was to get a small saw and cut that end off. I was gonna cut another piece from a spare tube and just decided to live without it. No selling it anyway. The gorilla glue worked great on my other pens but it just didn't set right with this wenge wood. Maybe it was too pourus and the glue soaked in to the wood. I have some thick CA glue coming in and will start using that from now on. Anyway, here is the pen with a little super glue on the rear tip that I'll have to live with also I guess. I may see if the wife has some nail polish remover and try to get it off.

Obviously you are learning as you go. As I mentioned to you every wood will finish differently because of its characteristics. Wenge is an oily wood with large pores. That gorilla glue works for some people when they wet the inside of the blank before pushing the tube in. It activates with moisture. That wood is also a wood that needs to be wiped down with acetone before finishing and cleaned well if you are sanding it. . It is also a good candidate for a sanding sealer to fill the pores if you are going with a thin film finish as Lacquer. You probably would have been better to seal the ends and dip it in the lacquer. I always use spray and not brush on lacquer for any projects I use that type lacquer. Poly is a plastic looking finish and lacquer is more a natural wood look and feel. Depending on your tastes. With lacquer you will need more than twice the amount of coats because it is thin. Keep at it and you will find the sweet spot of all this nonsense and then you will get bored.:)

bsshog40

I hear both of you! The lacquer seemed thicker than the poly when I was putting it on. Could be wrong though. I didn't wipe with acetone but I did wipe it down with denatured alcohol after sanding. I will have to remember to use some sanding sealer for this really pourus wood from now on. I was gonna get the spray lacquer but I didn't want to get it all over my lathe. I may try the dip method next time. Thanks for the comments y'all!

Bobby

jttheclockman

I hear both of you! The lacquer seemed thicker than the poly when I was putting it on. Could be wrong though. I didn't wipe with acetone but I did wipe it down with denatured alcohol after sanding. I will have to remember to use some sanding sealer for this really pourus wood from now on. I was gonna get the spray lacquer but I didn't want to get it all over my lathe. I may try the dip method next time. Thanks for the comments y'all!

Bobby

Take the blank off the lathe if you are spraying.

Make a dowel holding setup. I will take a dowel and wrap some blue painters tape around it with the last lap roll it back over itself so you have a sticky side out. Push blank over it and push to one side so it sticks. There is no weight or pressure on it so it is not going anywhere. You could use double sided tape too if you have. Take outdoor and spray. I usually have a box top lid or bottom and poke holes in it to hold the dowels. Now I use this method mainly for my birdhouse ornaments that I spin on a lathe but a pen tube is basically the same thing and the method will work great. Has for me for many years. Just do not direct spray in the tube or that is more you will have to clean before you insert components.

As you get more and more into this you have to be able to think outside the box and let your mind wander and come up with your own solutions to each problem. I find it more fun and challenging. Anyone can spin a pen blank. taking it all the way home is the key. :):)

1080Wayne

As John suggested , the most likely cause of the gluing problem was that the wenge was too dry . A fast dip of the blank into a cup of water before pushing the glued tube in should solve the problem . Doesn`t hurt to put a bit of glue into each end of the blank before water immersion , to make sure there is adequate glue on the tube ends . Same process works with plastic blanks , which of course have zero free water to initiate cure of the glue .

RKB

Ani't it fun. :biggrin: Addicting TOO. We all have had a learning curve and many of us still DO. You'll work out your method. Some of the Best folks in the world are on this board, ask them and listen to them. Good Luck.

Rod

Last edited:
Top Bottom