I had a coupon! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Yesterday I found myself in Hobby Lobby with a coupon. I had to use it. :)

So I bought some Castin Craft and 1 bottle of blue dye and one bottle of white pigment. I gathered a tupperware container, dixie cups, stir sticks, and paper towls and set myself up outside. 24 hours later I have the blanks you see below.

It was a lot of fun. I think that I poured both colors too soon though because the white is not as brilliant or bright as I would have liked. It is almost as if something is missing. Any suggestions woudl be greatly appreciated.

I also had issues when I poured I put the white in first and then the blue. I then swirled it. It seemed like I could not get the blue to the bottom of the tray. Next time I will pour them together.

If there is any suggestions that you guys can tell me from the photos I am all ears. Thanks.

I am also going to order a respirator. It is pretty strong and I read the safety sheet on it and it can do bad things to you.

It was a lot of fun though and I hope to try it out again.

I posted the pen here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/my-first-casting-polyresin-98341/#post1409492

Here are the blanks before turning:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Did you by any chance look at the date on the bottom of the can? It's really difficult to see but in the right light you will see the "manufactured" date. The Castin Craft site says it must be used within a year (or maybe it's 6 months) and every can I get from HL or Michaels are way past the use by date. I have made it work with the help of a toaster oven but it takes a while to cure. You did really well with that first cast good Colts colors.
WB

jason_r

I think they look great, especially for a first try.

One thing you'll find is that some colors are heavier than others- that's likely why the blue wouldn't go to the bottom. So like you said, pour them at the same time, or pour the blue first.

Knowing when to pour is an art in itself. It can come down to seconds.

jason_r

Castin-craft is a Polyester resin, so pigments/dyes/etc that are compatible with that would work.

Known things that work:
enamel paint
powdercoat paint
mica pigments from ArtStuf or Coastal Scents
Dyes from ArtStuf
Other things you can find by reading more of the forums

You might look at my Resin Color Library for examples, recipes, and a ton of data on gel times, etc.

brownsfn2

Guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments and helpful advice.

I will need to check my expiration date on the resin. I never though of that.

The dyes I used were hanging on the shelf above the resin. They are also Casting Craft brand.

I think that I need to add something to the white to make it pop more and wait a little longer to pour so the colors do not bleed so much.

I can see why people might become addicted to this. It is fun to try things out and make a pen out of it. :)

Top Bottom