I gots me some turnin wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chitswood

here's some of the macassar we got the other day
a1_1_sbl.jpg

I'm gonna have some fun with this!!! :D

I'll post anything I make (bowls and such), pretty busy right now though, Should I be offering pens from this?

Ok, heres a terrible photo of the straight grain:
b1_1_sbl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

That's some pretty stock! I can't wait to see what you make from it!

As for whether to cut it into pen blanks, it's hard to get a feel for the size of these pieces, and thus the grain movement within a pen blank-sized piece. 90% of the time, that's what we're all looking for - wild grain within a 1"x1"x6" segment.

Dario

WOW!!! [:0][:0][:0]

I may be bad but you are worse! LOL Great looking bunch...looks like I will be hovering (like a vulture [:D]) your auctions again!!!

chitswood

OH, I see what you mean.
These are 6x6x2 , its expensive wood.
Straight grain will look real good, but angle and cross cut will be amazing![:p]
maybe I can cut these into slabs for you guys? I'd have to know if you guys are interested, I think I'll end up turning most of these before Dad can sell them[:D][:D]

JimGo

IMHO, the down side to cross-cut and angle-cuts is that they are very delicate, even compared to a lot of the other stuff I've turned. I'd rather have a straight cut that has a lot of figure, like the middle piece here (which I got from you guys):

JimGo

That was straight-grained Cocobolo from you guys. It was my first attempt at a cane, and was a Christmas present for an ailing Aunt, so I have no clue what they'd sell for. A few other members make them, and maybe they'll chime in about the selling price for a cane.

BTW, I was able to make the Emperor I carry as my "daily driver" pen from the cut-off from that middle blank! [:D]

JimGo

Just saw the new photo - personally, I think that's better suited for something bigger with more shape to it, like a bowl, jar, etc. When you start wrapping that strong grain around something non-cylindrical, then you'll get a real "wow" factor from it. On a pen, I think it would get lost. Others are likely to disagree, but that's my opinion.

wayneis

Let me be the first to disagree, being that those blocks are only 6" X6" I think you could get some awsome grain paterns.

I vote: Cut One Up. I'd love to see angle or cross cut.

Wayne

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Just saw the new photo - personally, I think that's better suited for something bigger with more shape to it, like a bowl, jar, etc. When you start wrapping that strong grain around something non-cylindrical, then you'll get a real "wow" factor from it. On a pen, I think it would get lost. Others are likely to disagree, but that's my opinion.

JimGo

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Let me be the first to disagree, ...
Wayne

See! I told ya! [:D]

Also, it looks like there may be some good grain movement on the other surfaces as well, so it may not be as straight grained as it appears from that one surface.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
What do you mean 'cut into slabs'?
And how much for the bowl blank size, or are you listing them on ebay?

Thanks..!..[:)]

Originally posted by chitswood
<br />OH, I see what you mean.
These are 6x6x2 , its expensive wood.
Straight grain will look real good, but angle and cross cut will be amazing![:p]
maybe I can cut these into slabs for you guys? I'd have to know if you guys are interested, I think I'll end up turning most of these before Dad can sell them[:D][:D]

chitswood

Yay, I stole this from Dads ebay listings, I took some the other day and hid it so he wouldn't sell it, thats my turning material
I'm going to repost this in the business classifieds, this is turning into a pen selling[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom