I found my shop!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have not had the time or motivation for far too long to do any turning, or being sociable. I miss my Waffle House Breakfasts with Ernie and Chuck.

2 weeks ago, my 97 yr old Father-In-Law gave away a pen I made for him to one of his home health PT's (Fine by me - she's awesome). Discussion led to needing more; again, fine with me, just need to go 2.5 hrs north to my shop and dust it off. I finally got back to my lathe and hoped I was welcome.

These are for the rest of the aides for my FIL: RN, RN, PT, OT, PTA; They are wonderful. All pens are 'Thank You' Center Band Kits (Sierra Style) from Exotic Blanks. It was nice to clean off my lathe, work slowly as I am out of practice, and simply enjoy the process. For me, woodturning has been a welcomed experience. Thank you IAP.

8C1CD3C5-9505-466C-B931-C5EE50DEE081_1_201_a.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Mark, I am really pleased that you have found some workshop time, and for a good reason.
I hope that turning these has been a means of catharsis for you.
I'm sure that these pens will be gratefully received and treasured by the recipients.

Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I am really pleased that you have found some workshop time, and for a good reason.
I hope that turning these has been a means of catharsis for you.
I'm sure that these pens will be gratefully received and treasured by the recipients.

Alan
Hi Alan, my Friend. Yes, It was a pleasure today to get back to turn a gift. All is well. My activity on IAP has been sparse recently, but as with my shop, it will be there when I can come back with a clear bench. Be well my Irish Friend!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That must feel good and they are a nice group of gifts. What did you use for finish to retain the natural grain with the pores
You will notice open/sealed grains on #1-2; Oil /waxfinish on #3; CA on #4-5.

Left to right:
1). Glue Boost #1, 2 coats, no sanding or buffing. Leaves the grain texture, but sealed.
2). Wipe on Polyurethane, 4 coats under a heat lamp for 30 minutes, then the next coat.
3). 1/4 Mineral Spirits/ 3/4 Paste wax (similar to Obie's shine Juice? Capt'n Eddie???)
4). Glue Boost - 3 coats #1, 3 coats #2, wet sanded with micromesh.
5). Glue Boost - 3 coats #1, 3 coats #2, wet sanded with micromesh.

I do prefer having the feel of the wood grains. But a sealer is still advantageous with segments.

In #1, the RN asked for a 'reddish wood.' I used Padauk, and applied only 2 thin coats. It was smooth, but the grains were still able to be felt.

For #3, it is a poor finish but was intentional, it will improve as oils from fingers/usage accumulate, so I recommended that whoever takes that pen not to leave it in their vehicle with rapid temperature/humidity shifts in Ohio.

All is well. Best regards my friends.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice to see you make some pens for a change of pace. I miss those Waffle House breakfasts as well. We should do it again soon. Maybe your hands are a bit shaky but it doesn't show in these pretty pens. Be well Mark!

bsshog40

Nice work Mark. I haven't done any shop work in 19 months now. My new shop is slowly getting there but it will still be a while to finish and setup. Glad you found the time to enjoy yours my friend!

TDahl

Very nice work Mark. You have not lost the touch! I hope your FIL is doing better. Thanks again for your guidance, and sharing your work.

howsitwork

"The time was right" for you. The joy of all this is you turn when you want to.

Great results and I nice way to say thank you .

wishing you and your family well

jrista

These are very beautiful pens, @mark james! I really like the segmenting...simple, but very nice. I didn't have a great year last year either...didn't even turn for over half the year. Haven't turned since late fall. Really been wanting to get back into it...work has utterly consumed my life. I haven't been much in a mood to be sociable either... Really wanting to get back into it, and I am hoping I get the chance soon. Thanks for posting...it inspires me to work harder to get my life situation sorted out, so I can actually have some time to LIVE, and enjoy it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
These are very beautiful pens, @mark james! I really like the segmenting...simple, but very nice. I didn't have a great year last year either...didn't even turn for over half the year. Haven't turned since late fall. Really been wanting to get back into it...work has utterly consumed my life. I haven't been much in a mood to be sociable either... Really wanting to get back into it, and I am hoping I get the chance soon. Thanks for posting...it inspires me to work harder to get my life situation sorted out, so I can actually have some time to LIVE, and enjoy it.
I can't take credit for the segmenting as it was gifted to me I believe in a trade for one of my Chevron blanks (I think). Its been one my bench for quite a while. I figured if I could turn it without a catch I can get back to other turnings also. Have a great day!

Top Bottom