I finally made a bowl!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I got a Woodchuck Bowl Pro tool from Ken Ferrell a couple of months ago and I had this nice piece of pecan that's been screaming "TURN ME!", so I finally gave it a shot.

Far from perfect, but I had fun making it & I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I love the Bowl Pro tool - it transformed that big plug of wood inside the bowl into a pile of shavings in short order.

The bowl is 5" across at the top and 3" tall. This one's going to be a Christmas present for my wife.

Attachments

• Bowl5.jpg
    Bowl5.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Bowl2.jpg
    Bowl2.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Bowl3.jpg
    Bowl3.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Bowl4.jpg
    Bowl4.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 161

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good for you Ed! After the first, it now gives you a nice option for other things to turn.

I have 3 more pens to turn, then want to work on a Beads of Courage Bowl design that I have been working on.

Nice figure in the blank!

D.Oliver

What a great peice of wood. If that's your first bowl, I don't think we can be freinds any more. My first 3 or 4 attempts didn't even make it off the lathe.:biggrin::eek:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good for you Ed! After the first, it now gives you a nice option for other things to turn.

I have 3 more pens to turn, then want to work on a Beads of Courage Bowl design that I have been working on.

Nice figure in the blank!

Thanks Mark,
Another first for me, I also made this little lidded box from ERC for my granddaughter last night.

Your Beads of Courage Bowls have been a big part of my motivation to try making bowls & lidded boxes. I want to try to make a lidded bowl for Beads of Courage, but I first need to develop some basic skills in that area.

Edgar

Attachments

• Box1.jpg
    Box1.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Box2.jpg
    Box2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 131

Cmiles1985

What a great peice of wood. If that's your first bowl, I don't think we can be freinds any more. My first 3 or 4 attempts didn't even make it off the lathe.:biggrin::eek:
My first three or four made it off the lathe...way off the lathe!:bulgy-eyes:

That's a nice bowl and lidded box Edgar! They sure are fun once you get the procedure down.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Good job Edgar. See? We all knew you could do it.

How about a picture of the tool and a little review of it?

Thanks Wayne & I'm happy to say a little about the tools that I used.

Here's a photo of the business end of the Bowl Pro & also a special tool that William Weathersbee (triw51) made for me.

I used my mini EWT carbide tools to turn the blanks round & shape the outsides, then I used the Bowl Pro to hollow out the bowl and the little lidded box. It has an 8" long stainless steel body and a 17" handle. It comes with a pair of carbide cutters (15R4 and 15R2). I used the 15R2 on these two projects. The heavy duty construction & long body+handle really makes it easy to control, even with fairly aggressive hollowing. I ran the lathe at 1600 RPM and didn't have any problems with catches or controlling the tool.

You can find better pictures & description of this & Ken's other tools at his web site: Tools

William Weathersbee is a blacksmith as well as a turner and makes lots of his own tools. He designed the one shown in this photo especially for making lidded boxes. It's made from an old car spring and has about a 1" cutting edge on the front & one side and about a 2.5" cutting edge on the opposite side. It really helps with squaring up the mating surfaces on the lid & body of the little boxes.

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 157

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Does it make the suction "pop" noise when you pull the lid off? I love that noise.

I was hoping no one would ask. :rolleyes:

The lid does have a nice fit, but it's just a little too loose for a pop. My granddaughter won't care, but I definitely have to work on that.

bobleibo

Something tells me those aren't your first ones, at least I hope not since they make my first ones look like ********. I really like that wood.
Nice job Edgar~

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Full disclosure - I actually cheated a little bit.

Our local Woodcraft store recently hosted a charity bowl turning event and since I had never turned a bowl, I decided to go over there for a couple of hours to see if I could learn something. I got there just about the time a family with 4 youngsters (about 10-16) got started on their bowls. They had 4 lathes set up and two of the WC staff were providing assistance.

Since these young folks had never turned a bowl before, the WC guys were very patient & thorough with their explanations. I just stood in amongst the 4 lathes, listened to everything they said & demonstrated and watched the kids turn. They all made a very nice bowl and I soaked up a ton of knowledge.

There was a nice group of folks there waiting for a turn at the lathes, so I didn't stick around to turn one that day, but I was pretty confident that I now knew what to do. Hats off to Woodcraft for hosting this event.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Does it make the suction "pop" noise when you pull the lid off? I love that noise.

The lid does have a nice fit, but it's just a little too loose for a pop. My granddaughter won't care, but I definitely have to work on that.

... If you wait until the humidity goes up it will swell, and possibly won't come off...(DAMHIK)...

SteveG

IVO the noted deficiency in the "fit", :)tongue: perfectly fine for one at your early stage of lidded box turning.) you can learn to compensate by making a "pop" sound with your mouth/throat, every time the lid is pulled off. You could even take it a step further, and teach your granddaughter to do it also :eek:. If she asks why, just ask her to not tell anyone, but that gandpa just needs her to do that.:redface:

SteveG

That was my "just for fun" post. This is my reaction post. Your bowl and box attempts look good, showing you absorbed well as you soaked up the training at the Woodcraft location. I am about at the same experience level as you with bowl-work. :biggrin: Nice work, and may there be many more bowls to come!

low_48

A good addition to your tool set would be a power sanding set. It won't work well with your sharp corner from sides to bottom, but it wii remove your torn grain lines in the sides. Nice start.

Rick_G

Good start Edgar, my first one I did at a Lee Valley seminar and my second one got out of my home made cole jaws while finishing the bottom. Not a total loss as it did provide a little heat in the fireplace last winter. Next step is some razor sharp bowl gouges. I hate sanding and a touch up on the grinder just before that final pass eliminates a lot of tear out and sanding.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

... If you wait until the humidity goes up it will swell, and possibly won't come off...(DAMHIK)...

I'd probably have to throw it into a tub of water to get any higher humidity than we have here in the TX Gulf Coast :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

IVO the noted deficiency in the "fit", :)tongue: perfectly fine for one at your early stage of lidded box turning.) you can learn to compensate by making a "pop" sound with your mouth/throat, every time the lid is pulled off. You could even take it a step further, and teach your granddaughter to do it also :eek:. If she asks why, just ask her to not tell anyone, but that gandpa just needs her to do that.:redface:

Good idea Steve, but do you seriously think that I could ever talk this girl into doing anything like that? :wink:

Attachments

• KaydenWithSpoon.jpg
    KaydenWithSpoon.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 108

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
A good addition to your tool set would be a power sanding set. It won't work well with your sharp corner from sides to bottom, but it wii remove your torn grain lines in the sides. Nice start.

Thanks for the tip, Rich. I will definitely look into that.

robutacion

Wow, what colours that bowl have...!!

Bowl turning is a great thing to do and I let you know on a little secret, the next time you feel really upset and or pi$$ed off at someone, grab a big chunk of green wood and a carbide tool and, give it heaps, put your frustrations on the carbide gouge and let it rip, and get those big shavings fly thick and fast.

One you piece of advice, make sure the wood piece is securely fixed to the lathe, you don't want to endup with a chunk of wood, hitting you in the had, that my friend, will hurt...!

Cheers
George

Cwalker935

Here's a photo of the business end of the Bowl Pro & also a special tool that William Weathersbee (triw51) made for me.

I used my mini EWT carbide tools to turn the blanks round & shape the outsides, then I used the Bowl Pro to hollow out the bowl and the little lidded box. It has an 8" long stainless steel body and a 17" handle. It comes with a pair of carbide cutters (15R4 and 15R2). I used the 15R2 on these two projects. The heavy duty construction & long body+handle really makes it easy to control, even with fairly aggressive hollowing. I ran the lathe at 1600 RPM and didn't have any problems with catches or controlling the tool.

You can find better pictures & description of this & Ken's other tools at his web site: Tools

William Weathersbee is a blacksmith as well as a turner and makes lots of his own tools. He designed the one shown in this photo especially for making lidded boxes. It's made from an old car spring and has about a 1" cutting edge on the front & one side and about a 2.5" cutting edge on the opposite side. It really helps with squaring up the mating surfaces on the lid & body of the little boxes.

I was wondering how you were able to get almost a 90 degree turn inside the bowl. That is an interesting looking tool.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

I was wondering how you were able to get almost a 90 degree turn inside the bowl. That is an interesting looking tool.

My dimensions on William's tool were a little off - the cutting edges are about 2.5" on one side & 6" on the other. The long edge helps to get nice straight sides inside the lidded box and the shorter side helps to get nice square mating surfaces between lid & box.

I actually did all the bowl hollowing with the Bowl Pro tool - the bowl was just large enough to get a good angle to make that sharp turn. It also helped to have a tool with such good balance & control. I did use my mini round EWT tool for the flared rim, but all other interior work was with the Bowl Pro.

Bob Wemm

Glad to see you step outside the Pen Circle Edgar, bowls are a lot of fun. The shapes are all but infinite which gives you a great choice.
That is a beautiful piece of Pecan, and a great job turning it.
Thanks for sharing.

Bob.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Glad to see you step outside the Pen Circle Edgar, bowls are a lot of fun. The shapes are all but infinite which gives you a great choice.
That is a beautiful piece of Pecan, and a great job turning it.
Thanks for sharing.

Bob.

Thanks Bob - this was a lot of fun and seeing so many of your great bowls was a big part of my motivation to give it a shot. I'm hooked! Now I need a bigger lathe :biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Wow, Great looking bowl. I'm afraid to even try one, but you nailed it.

Thanks Craig - I was apprehensive for quite a while too. My best advice is to try to find an experienced bowl turner who is a good teacher to give you a demonstration or help you turn your first bowl.

I watched a lot of videos and was pretty familiar with the basic steps & procedures. However, as with most things, the devil's in the details and it's sometimes hard to get that from a video. Just little things like how to stand and hold the tools for good balance & control, positioning the tool rest, how to make proper plunging & scraping cuts inside the bowl and so much more.

You can learn a lot of this by trial & error, but having someone explain & demonstrate these things can really help speed up the learning process. I still have a lot to learn, but that 2 hours that I spent at Woodcraft was definitely worthwhile.

Top Bottom