I Finally Cobbed Out!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Yes, I had to join in and make a corncob pen! It was fun! I got my cob from Rich (Low 48). My Wife and I have been having fun showing it around. Scott.

20051132116_corncob.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

That one really came out nice, Scott! I simply have got to try again to do a cob. Bought a bag from WalMart in the pet section and need to find a good one. Kirk[8D]

PenWorks

Why SHUCKS, and Gooolllleeee, [:D] I am in awe of yet another member that can turn a cob. [:)] Very nice job Scott. I'm jelous as ussual. Happy New Year , Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice job Scott, looks like you got a cob with a nice thin core to really show off the kernel effect... when the cores are thin you can get an effect that almost looks like snakeskin... great job...

Carole in VA

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Nice job Scott, looks like you got a cob with a nice thin core to really show off the kernel effect... when the cores are thin you can get an effect that almost looks like snakeskin... great job...
Looks great Scott! And Griz, you are right about the core...the corn that grows around here has such a large pith that I can't turn it down enough at the nib end to make a pen. I'm surrounded by corn and need to import cobs![:(]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
No you don't Carol... all the stuff I use is local field corn (or the mummified cobs from the old chicken coop)... in fact my daughter and her friends were playing in that back field yesterday and bought in a couple of buckets full that did not make it into the combine...
About 1/3 of them had thin cores... you just need to look... remember that the diameter of the core at the top is usually going to be a lot larger than it is down where you will cutting the blank for a pen....
I am experimenting with a stabilizing system for the cobs and if it works will post it here... will be a couple of days at least before I know if it worked at all...

G

Stabilizing is no biggie.
Venturi vacuum manifold "pump" from HF $10.00
Compressor
Bondo rotted wood hardner or equivalent
Large jar with vac fitting
Smaller jar for cobs.
Been doing it for months.
Been a couple of threads on it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom