I Changed the Name of the Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska fellow IAP members,

This morning I turned a pen from the Alumilite blanks that I made earlier in the week. I had originally named the blanks "Mother of Pearl Pastels" in the post I made in the "Blank Making" forum here, but after turning one I decided the name of the blank is more aptly "Golden Clamshell" as the turned blank reminds me of the fresh water lake clamshells that I used to see where I grew up, except with a golden color instead of a silver color that were in the lake clams.

The kit is a Chrome Magnetic Rollerball with a straight clip from Crooked Mill Woodworking. I cut a small piece of plastic from the cap that came on the rollerball ink refill and installed it over the end of the refill to keep it from protruding quite as far. The difference can be seen between the refill extension on the "glamor" photo vs the extension in the straight "documentation" photos. The long extension seems to be indicative of this pen design. I have found though that Pilot G2 refills do not extend quite as far as the standard rollerball refills do.

Of the blanks that I have poured so far this is my least favorite. Maybe it's just because I'm not really into pastel colors very much. The depth and shimmer is much more pronounced than the pictures show, especially in the blue and violet (pink) shades.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3961 Cropped.jpg

Click on Thumbnails to Zoom-In
IMG_3952 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3953 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3954 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3955 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3956 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3957 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BoonareeBurl

Greetings from Nebraska fellow IAP members,

This morning I turned a pen from the Alumilite blanks that I made earlier in the week. I had originally named the blanks "Mother of Pearl Pastels" in the post I made in the "Blank Making" forum here, but after turning one I decided the name of the blank is more aptly "Golden Clamshell" as the turned blank reminds me of the fresh water lake clamshells that I used to see where I grew up, except with a golden color instead of a silver color that were in the lake clams.

The kit is a Chrome Magnetic Rollerball with a straight clip from Crooked Mill Woodworking. I cut a small piece of plastic from the cap that came on the rollerball ink refill and installed it over the end of the refill to keep it from protruding quite as far. The difference can be seen between the refill extension on the "glamor" photo vs the extension in the straight "documentation" photos. The long extension seems to be indicative of this pen design. I have found though that Pilot G2 refills do not extend quite as far as the standard rollerball refills do.

Of the blanks that I have poured so far this is my least favorite. Maybe it's just because I'm not really into pastel colors very much. The depth and shimmer is much more pronounced than the pictures show, especially in the blue and violet (pink) shades.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 361060

Click on Thumbnails to Zoom-In
View attachment 361054
View attachment 361055
View attachment 361056
View attachment 361057
View attachment 361058
View attachment 361059
I'm a wood guy, but I have to say that that's a really pretty blank, and I actually think there will DEFINITELY be a market for it.

G

jttheclockman

It is always amazing what a finished blank looks like as opposed to when they first come out of the pot. They look great.

Lew

I agree with you. Terrible looking pen. When you have finished turning the other blanks like this one, send them to me so you don't have to look at them anymore. I'm sure I'll be able to hide them away for you so you don't have to endure looking at them. :D

Top Bottom