I can't stop looking at it! Pic Heavy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Here's my most recent box. This one I made from PR. It wasn't any harder than the alumilite, I was worried for nothing! I made the blank to resemble an earlier pen I made (Pic to follow) and WOW it came out much better than I thought. The pictures don't do it justice at ALL. This one is going to be a Christmas gift for my Mom. There's alot of pics so enjoy them and thanks for looking!

Here's the pen I made a while back that I tried to replicate in the box blank (the pen was reverse painted black, there's no black in the actual blank):

100_2013633x700.jpg

And the box:

100_4066700x620.jpg
100_4068700x634.jpg
100_4069700x617.jpg
100_4093700x609.jpg
100_4071700x510.jpg
100_4078700x622.jpg
100_4083700x544.jpg
100_4076700x532.jpg
100_4086700x525.jpg
100_4091700x563.jpg
100_4095700x534.jpg

PTownSubbie

I concur! You are sick! You are no longer allowed to show blanks any longer!! LOL!!

Very very cool. I am sure your Mother will love it!

SDB777

Was wondering if you'd tell how long it took to sand/MM the inside of that 'box' to get it looking that way! Outstanding!!!

Dimensions too, please!

Scott (far out man) B

Brooks803

That is great looking -- a lot of depth and movement in the blank and terrific shape and finish on the box. How big is it?

-Barry

Thanks Barry. It's like looking down into a black lagoon. I still can't stop looking at it!

Was wondering if you'd tell how long it took to sand/MM the inside of that 'box' to get it looking that way! Outstanding!!!

Dimensions too, please!

Scott (far out man) B

Lol....it took about 5hrs total. 1hr turning and 4hrs finishing :eek:. I had to go through all the sand paper grits and MM 5 times! The raw blank was 3"x3" and the final turning is 2.5"x2.5" I didn't take much off after seeing what the outside was going to look like.

wiset1

So is that one mine? You've got to make me one of those...

AWESOME. I need to hire some cheerleaders to do a cheer for this one...really amazing work partner!

hewunch

Jonathan, man, that is 8 kinds of awesome! Although, I do agree with Frank, that I like the inside better. If you had the top looking like the inside of the top, that would be over the top! But, no matter how you look at it, it is still some kind of wonderful.

Woodlvr

That looks awefansometastic. I cannot wait to get started on my box, my teen granddaughter claimed it as I opened the package by she got disappointed very quickly. IT IS MINE, ALL MINE. HA-HA. FOR NOW ANYWAY.

MarkD

Outstanding work Johnathon!
All those hours of sanding payed off!
Your mom should be thrilled!

bluwolf

That's really sharp. When I looked at it I knew it wasn't gonna be easy to get a shine like that on the inside.

Mike

Rob73

Very nice. I just turned out some lidded boxes the other day and was wondering how well one would do out of acrylic. Don't usually see anyone selling in the size I would want though.. Guess I may have to put casting on my list after seeing these ;)

Brooks803

So is that one mine? You've got to make me one of those...

AWESOME. I need to hire some cheerleaders to do a cheer for this one...really amazing work partner!

Hell yea! Sounds good to me partner :biggrin:

That looks awefansometastic. I cannot wait to get started on my box, my teen granddaughter claimed it as I opened the package by she got disappointed very quickly. IT IS MINE, ALL MINE. HA-HA. FOR NOW ANYWAY.

Lol...yeah I bet the color scheme wasn't at the top of her list. Enjoy it Mike!

Outstanding work Johnathon!
All those hours of sanding payed off!
Your mom should be thrilled!

Thanks Mark, she sure as hell better be happy! All that starting and stopping to cross-sand after EVERY grit got very mundane very quickly! :hypnotized:

Words don't do it justice. PR=poly resin? Man, you are a master caster!

Thanks! Yes it's polyester resin.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words! I've got 1 more blank to turn but can't until I restock my sandpaper :eek:. I litterally used every last piece sanding this thing. I also discovered that even though the new alumilite clear can shine as well as PR it does NOT sand as easily as PR does. It's alot harder to get out scratches in the alumilite. So with the PR being just as easy to turn I'm gonna just make them from that. Oh, and 1 other thing, it's hard to tell from the pics but the thickness of the top and bottom are nearly paper thin! If I hold it up to a light it's "clear" and you can see the streaks of pearl in it. I got really lucky that I didn't break it.

Last edited:

Parson

Saw this and showed my wife.

What a stupid move.

Now she's saying, "so when will you make me one of those lidded boxes?" Will he make a blank big enough like that for you? How much will it cost? You know, Christmas is just a few weeks away!

I know I could have kept my mouth shut and not shown her. But I didn't think it was going to add a lot of work to my Christmas list!

Do offer blanks in the size required to turn boxes like this one.

Top Bottom