I believe they call it Old Iron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Came across this down below Lexington. Had not planned on up grading from my full size lathe from Harbor Freight, it was doing all I needed. But, sometimes the deal is right. So I now own one of the many Powermatic 90's, 2 HP 500-4000 RPM through the reeves drive, VFD coming Tuesday. This should meet my needs for quite some time with a great range of speed and torque selection through the combined drives.
DE8E5F80-6073-41B2-84F5-506782E20299.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW !! . Very nice indeed !!

Be sure to keep that in your antique cabinet when it's not in use !! ;) 😁

MRDucks2

The seller said to bring 5 or 6 people to move it and obviously that made little sense. My older brother and I got it taken apart and loaded in less than 30 minutes. My oldest daughter, wife and 2 granddaughters (and 4 year old grandson) all helped at different times getting it unloaded and set back up. Again, no more than 30 minutes.

The seller said he was surprised when just the 2 of us showed up as it took 3 guys and a Bobcat to load it and 3 guys with tractor to unload it. We had a low deck trailer, 6' lifting strap, a 2 ton cherry picker and a hand full of tools to take the 500 pounds of lathe off the welded 10 gauge 70 pound cabinet.

He said he guessed having a plan and the right equipment really does make a difference. LOL

moke

I had a Delta 46-460 for years. I did pens, stoppers, some bowls and pepper grinders. It had an extension, and was ok, but I decided to get a Laguana 18/36. If you have never turned anything larger than pens on a "heavy" lathe, you are in for a welcome surprise. They are so much smoother and just sit there like a rock! The Laguana is around 500 lbs, if memory serves, and I have it on their wheel set, while it doesn't push easy, it is manageable ( I talk to it as I am attempting to move it, and sometimes not so nicely). In my current shop, I have to have it on wheels, but I'm in the process of building a new dedicated shop.
If you don't have wheels you are better off. But once you get it set up, you are going to love it. The weight really is an asset. It looks as if it was restored at some point. It is hard to tell, but looks as if they did a good job. Congratulations!
Oh, and it's "old Arn", not Iron. LOL
Let us know once you start to use it, and what you think.

MPVic

Came across this down below Lexington. Had not planned on up grading from my full size lathe from Harbor Freight, it was doing all I needed. But, sometimes the deal is right. So I now own one of the many Powermatic 90's, 2 HP 500-4000 RPM through the reeves drive, VFD coming Tuesday. This should meet my needs for quite some time with a great range of speed and torque selection through the combined drives.
View attachment 247422
Excuse me while I drool - a classic "they don't make 'em like they used to!" Hope you get much enjoyment from this beauty.

MRDucks2

Thanks, all. Began cleaning things up, adding rust preventives and such today. It seems to be in good shape thus far. Tail stock has 4-3/8 inches travel and hand wheel spins freely to extend or retract. Though it weighs a bit, I can give the tail piece a one handed slap and send it sliding down the ways.

mmayo

That, I think, is the lathe they had in the HS woodshop. A kid in my biology class showed me a pen he made in shop. I asked the shop teacher if I could turn a pen... that's when it happened.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you mind if I PM/call you an a couple of months? I have a Grizzly 2HP with Reeves drive and have seriously thought of getting a VFD for it. The lowest RPM of the Grizzly-Reeves is 550 (technically it is 600) and that is too fast for larger bowls and some 12 - 14" roots that I have. The 2 HP will handle those but the RPM is too high.

VFD drives for 120V and 14 amps are available now through eBay at affordable prices.

Please let us know when you get yours up and running with the VFD.

MRDucks2

That would be fine Hank. Feel free to reach out to me anytime.

I am still going through it now. When I was communicating with the seller he gave me some odd answers about the piece. When I went to see it he indicated he had used it maybe 4 or 5 times. He was a liar who was compelled to answer questions he had no clue about. But, the machine was in good shape. If he ran it the experience may have been scary.

He had no speed control. The cam for the speed controller on the reeves drive was being used as a spacer for the tail stock hand wheel. The spindle mounted fixed sheave half was in the wrong position so the speed would have been slower than intended. Belt tension was way off and The spring loaded portion of the reeves drive was sticking. He said it was from the 80s or 90s and it appears to be about a 1959 (which I love).

But it is all there and in great condition. I just finished going through the mechanicals and when put together correctly everything works great. Now to drop the motor out, check and reconnect for 230 volt 3 phase as that is what my free VFD output is.

Will keep everyone posted.

Top Bottom