i been mugged twice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

the first mug I made split all the way down the side when I brought it in from the cold car and filled it with hot coffee. Either I turned the wood too green or I made the fit too tight or both. This one I like as well and I know this is not green. the first photo is the new one and the second, the old.

Attachments

• mug 2 008.JPG
    mug 2 008.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 156
  • coffee mug 003.jpg
    coffee mug 003.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

I think I like the new one even better.I have'nt made any of the mugs yet.How does the liner go into the wood?Just a press fit,or glued or what?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think I like the new one even better.I have'nt made any of the mugs yet.How does the liner go into the wood?Just a press fit,or glued or what?

I was interested in the same thing just an hour ago. Found the instructions at CSUSA here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/pdfs/travel_mug.pdf

I have a couple of mug size blanks and a couple of Starbucks plastic mugs that I plan on turning into a wood mug (on the outside of course.). The metal ones would obviously be better but I am going to try one with what I have on hand.

I like the mug in the first picture as best also!

Thanks for the compliments. Actually, there is a recess for you to turn a tenon at the top to slide under the rim so liquid doesnt run inside. The first one I made a snug slip fit, but I felt that is part of what caused the crack. This one, I made the inside very loose and epoxied the base and rim, leaving room for expansion when you put hot coffee in it. Its been a few days,now with no signs of trouble...whew!

Randy_

I much prefer the shape of the new one although the first one has the more interesting wood.

Is the crack something you can repair with some CA?

Can you post a good picture of the damage? Thanks.

I cant as I destroyed it to make this one. I thought of photographing it, but i didnt think anyone would be interested in seeing it.

I much prefer the shape of the new one although the first one has the more interesting wood.

Is the crack something you can repair with some CA?

Can you post a good picture of the damage? Thanks.

Top Bottom