I am now officially initiated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
into the bandsaw club.... Sunday I worked all day in the show cutting some bottle stopper blanks, bowl blanks, my thumb and a few other things...

I was just finishing my last bowl blank and thinking about my son coming into the shop and distracting me while I had a strip of high tensile steel with jagged edges running awfully close to my fingers... I was just moving my hand to get behind the blade when the blanks slipped off the little nub I was removing... my thumb hit the blade just where the first joint bends... about 3/4" gash just through the skin... enough to bleed pretty profusely, but no serious damage... it did wake me up and get my attention though.

I grabbed a paper towel and thought about getting the CA, but decided it would be more prudent to go wash it and bandage it properly... no stitches needed, no pictures so no one will believe it happened -- oh well I know it.

Then to make matters worse, last night I ran over to my small engine repair man to pick up my riding lawnmower... I had a belt jump off a pulley, so I took it to him to repair.. I'm a lousy mechanic and it's cheaper in the long run to hire it done... when we were loading the tractor back into my truck, he put up his ramps and I jumped on the tractor to ride up them into the truck... have done this a number of times, so no worries - yeah right?

The ramps were a little steep and the deck of the tractor caught at the top... just about that time, the ramps slipped off the tailgate (don't think he had secured them like he normally does)... the tail end of the tractor hit the ground, the rider came tumbling off backwards and fortunately the tractor didn't tumble over backwards... sure thought for a second it was going to.... I landed on my left shoulder... the one with bursitis in the joint... it was already sore, now it's twice as sore...

So I guess that makes me twice initiated into the stupidity club as well. :mad::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt :smile-big:

I always found these things happen when I get in a hurry. Slow down a little, if it applies, and enjoy your shop time.

Jake

sbwertz

I was taking a bowl turning class at Woodcraft when I first started turning. I was the only woman in the class, so when I stupidly let my finger come in contact with the big belt sander and peeled it pretty good, I didn't want anyone to know the gal did a stupid thing, so I just rinsed it off in the bathroom and dosed it with medium CA. I was new to all this, so I thought I would speed up the set and sprayed it with accelerator. I don't have to tell you what happened. At least I didn't howl. No one realized what happened, and I learned an important lesson about CA...it gets REALLY HOT when sprayed with accelerator.

BSea

I was taking a bowl turning class at Woodcraft when I first started turning. I was the only woman in the class, so when I stupidly let my finger come in contact with the big belt sander and peeled it pretty good, I didn't want anyone to know the gal did a stupid thing, so I just rinsed it off in the bathroom and dosed it with medium CA. I was new to all this, so I thought I would speed up the set and sprayed it with accelerator. I don't have to tell you what happened. At least I didn't howl. No one realized what happened, and I learned an important lesson about CA...it gets REALLY HOT when sprayed with accelerator.
I did almost the same thing. And you don't need accelerator for it to burn. I found out later that CA is good to close cuts, but it's really bad for scrapes that are still oozing. And it takes 16 hours to quit burning. My wife said it was only a minute or two, but what does she know.:rolleyes:

Ouch! My wife years ago ran her thumb into the bandsaw and has refused to use it since! She doesn't fall off tractors though...:)

She hasn't used her thumb for years? Wow, that has to be tough! LOL!
Maybe she's left handed. :biggrin:

Top Bottom