I’ve been working on fountain pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

This is a personal favorite of mine…
Alumilite Clear Slow custom blank for the cap and body.
Black ebonite for the section.
Bock #6 nib

The process:

Drill the section with a 7mm, cut the tenon down to 10mm and chase with a 10x1 threading.
Flip around on a delrin mandrel I made. Shape it. Then drill and chase with the appropriate sizes and tap it for a Bock housing.

Body was squared off, a tenon cut for a 14mm x 1 thread chase, drilled with a "U" drill to the appropriate depth for a converter and tapped for the section. Flipped on a mandrel and shaped.

Cap was drilled and tapped with a 14 x 1 tap and flipped on the mandrel to shape.

Pen was roughed with carbide tools and final shaping with files. I like files for handling chatter and shaping smooth… sanded from 320 to micromesh. Buffed using Tripoli and dimaondcast. Given a warm bath of Dawn and ultrasonic.

C & C is welcomed

Thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• 321F1BDC-12C7-40DB-A54B-54172805868D.jpeg
    321F1BDC-12C7-40DB-A54B-54172805868D.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 2E2F3088-FE7D-44CC-9BBA-33C3D192252B.jpeg
    2E2F3088-FE7D-44CC-9BBA-33C3D192252B.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 0DF68E53-A6A0-4421-993D-836003C3F723.jpeg
    0DF68E53-A6A0-4421-993D-836003C3F723.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 225
  • D532E742-4CF6-4D76-828F-DE4208B0A8BA.jpeg
    D532E742-4CF6-4D76-828F-DE4208B0A8BA.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Excellent job, Dave.
I like that you have just a minimal step from cap to body.

Don't understand the 'Dawn and ultrasonic'. I assume that Dawn is washing up liquid, but what is the 'ultrasonic' bit mean?
Alan

Alchemist

Excellent job, Dave.
I like that you have just a minimal step from cap to body.

Don't understand the 'Dawn and ultrasonic'. I assume that Dawn is washing up liquid, but what is the 'ultrasonic' bit mean?
Alan
Dawn liquid soap and an ultrasonic cleaning machine. The vibration helps get the crud out of the threads and any other gunk that may have stuck to the surface of the pen. I have a jewelers ultrasonic from harbor freight for cleaning small things. It uses tiny vibration to knock crud off.

Ironwood

That's a great looking pen Dave.
Single start threads are fine, only real downside, as you say, plenty of turns to uncap. Though you can still cut that down to 2 turns, which feels a lot better than 4. I use double start threads, and aim for 1.5 or 2 turns.
My first kitless pen has about 4 turns, I use this pen most days when I am at home, it bothers me a little, but not so much that I have gone to the trouble to modify it.

Alchemist

That's a great looking pen Dave.
Single start threads are fine, only real downside, as you say, plenty of turns to uncap. Though you can still cut that down to 2 turns, which feels a lot better than 4. I use double start threads, and aim for 1.5 or 2 turns.
My first kitless pen has about 4 turns, I use this pen most days when I am at home, it bothers me a little, but not so much that I have gone to the trouble to modify it.
Triple start leads are far too pricey for me, although, I'm not opposed to get them in the future. I will get the turns down. I have a pen I use at work that has 7 turns. It's utterly annoying, but when people see it, the cap is already off 🤣

PatrickR

Triple start leads are far too pricey for me, although, I'm not opposed to get them in the future. I will get the turns down. I have a pen I use at work that has 7 turns. It's utterly annoying, but when people see it, the cap is already off 🤣
Nice pen! I like the section shape.
triple lead threads only effect how easy it is to engage the threads. 3 spots vs 1. Once engaged the pitch and where it comes to a stop will determine total turns. The easiest way for me to effect turns is simply drill away cap threads (bit same as the thread size) until its where I want, keeping pattern alignment in mind. I'm happy with anything that's between 3/4 and one. Much less and there wont be many threads engaging.

Alchemist

Nice pen! I like the section shape.
triple lead threads only effect how easy it is to engage the threads. 3 spots vs 1. Once engaged the pitch and where it comes to a stop will determine total turns. The easiest way for me to effect turns is simply drill away cap threads (bit same as the thread size) until its where I want, keeping pattern alignment in mind. I'm happy with anything that's between 3/4 and one. Much less and there wont be many threads engaging.
Yes, thanks Patrick! This is what I plan on doing in the future. My larger chuck and bits should be arriving soon. Thanks for the tip!

MedWoodWorx

Bock #6 nib

The process:

Drill the section with a 7mm, cut the tenon down to 10mm and chase with a 10x1 threading.
Flip around on a delrin mandrel I made. Shape it. Then drill and chase with the appropriate sizes and tap it for a Bock housing.

Body was squared off, a tenon cut for a 14mm x 1 thread chase, drilled with a "U" drill to the appropriate depth for a converter and tapped for the section. Flipped on a mandrel and shaped.

Cap was drilled and tapped with a 14 x 1 tap and flipped on the mandrel to shape.

Pen was roughed with carbide tools and final shaping with files. I like files for handling chatter and shaping smooth… sanded from 320 to micromesh. Buffed using Tripoli and dimaondcast. Given a warm bath of Dawn and ultrasonic.

C & C is welcomed

Thanks!
Dave
Very nice work, bravo. Even the stand you used is awesome.

MedWoodWorx

Bock #6 nib
is there a reason why most penturners use ebonite for the section/nib part?i wanted to ask whether ebonite or epoxy materials can take threads better, cheers

floatslow

Bock #6 nib

The process:

C & C is welcomed

Thanks!
Dave
I appreciate that you describe your process with thoughts on how and why you are sequencing your steps. Kudos and nice pen

Top Bottom