I’m just curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Our typical handcrafted fountain pen is approx 145mm overall length and 15mm in diameter. This makes them more of a desk/journaling pen.

We're considering offering a pen considerably smaller, more of a pocket pen sized pen approx138 in overall length and approx14mm at the widest. (Considering there are certain parameters we have to stay within when utilizing 13mm threads and Jowo#6 nib.) What IS the typical preferred fountain pen size? Is a clip preferred?

The pen in the right is an unpolished prototype compared to our pen we've offered up until now. I'm interested in opinions and thoughts on what average size is.

IMG_1566.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joseph

I like both, but I really like the one on the right, both in size and shape. You're doing great work!
Now if I, myself, was looking to buy a fountain pen, I think a clip would be a requirement. I think they add to the look and function as a roll stop.

Hippie3180

I like both, but I really like the one on the right, both in size and shape. You're doing great work!
Now if I, myself, was looking to buy a fountain pen, I think a clip would be a requirement. I think they add to the look and function as a roll stop.
Good input, I may need to add a bit more length for a clip, but it should be minimal.

I find the larger pen very comfortable in my very small hand, the smaller one felt foreign, but maybe I would get used to it.

rixstix

Both look nice. I make mine similar to the 14mm x 130-140mm dimension you used. Cigar pen clips fit well & are usually readily available. Would changing to a #5 nib be a consideration? I can't get my exact dimensions til tomorrow but I get a cap & body from a 5" blank by adding coordinating 1/4" finials. Section also using the same coordinating material. Posting sometimes helps the feel & balance if that is workable.

Hippie3180

Good to know about the clips. I'm not really set up with tap and die for #5 nibs. I may consider that down the line. I think it's totally feasible to get a pen out of 5" to 5.5" inches of blank. I might need to go a tad longer to have enough material for a tenon to hold in the cap and not interfere with the nib.

Bean_Counter

Good to know about the clips. I'm not really set up with tap and die for #5 nibs. I may consider that down the line. I think it's totally feasible to get a pen out of 5" to 5.5" inches of blank. I might need to go a tad longer to have enough material for a tenon to hold in the cap and not interfere with the nib.
I have a few spare cigar clips if you want to give it a try

PatrickR

By a pocket pen I'll assume you mean a shirt pocket. To get to that length I switch to 12mm cap threads and a #5 nib. It also needs to be post-able for comfortable use. A clip is a must.
I see a fair amount of "pocket pens" being made that are meant to drop into a pocket. I don't and won't make them, (just asking for a problem). They are normally drop fill and non-traditional designs, (not my thing). These usually stay in the three-piece category though. Making them less expensive and faster to make.
This size pen will test your limits. Much more demanding than the usually sized artisan fountain pen. More parts and tighter tolerance. Buying a cheap chinese pen in this category is helpful. (Jinhao 82 or similar)

Hippie3180

By a pocket pen I'll assume you mean a shirt pocket. To get to that length I switch to 12mm cap threads and a #5 nib. It also needs to be post-able for comfortable use. A clip is a must.
I see a fair amount of "pocket pens" being made that are meant to drop into a pocket. I don't and won't make them, (just asking for a problem). They are normally drop fill and non-traditional designs, (not my thing). These usually stay in the three-piece category though. Making them less expensive and faster to make.
This size pen will test your limits. Much more demanding than the usually sized artisan fountain pen. More parts and tighter tolerance. Buying a cheap chinese pen in this category is helpful. (Jinhao 82 or similar)
I'm not really referring to the short stubby pen that I think most people consider a pocket pen. This pen does however fit nicely into a shirt pocket if need be. I'm not interested in making it mini or anything, also not my thing. I'm mostly interested in making a pen that is less bulky, shorter for those who prefer something more streamlined. I wouldn't be confident with a fountain pen in a shirt pocket myself.

I recently listened to a podcast where someone was not a fan of a chunkier 15mm + pen, and in fact sold it. This just got me to thinking about a more slender + proportionate offering.

PatrickR

Thanks for pulling that up @rixstix I was being lazy last night.
that pen is still with me. I used it daily for a year and have made a handful since then.
@Hippie3180 If you want to stay with a #6 and 13mm threads the step-less design will shave a mm or more off of your barrel diameter.

darrin1200

This is my Lewis and Lewis Jr.
Cap is 15mm and 13mm respectively.
They are both 140mm long capped.

The larger one is a 13mm thread while the Jr. is an 11mm thread. This gives it about the smallest section I'm willing to go, with a #6 nib.
Excuse the crappy photo.

IMG_5176.jpeg

PatrickR

This is my Lewis and Lewis Jr.
Cap is 15mm and 13mm respectively.
They are both 140mm long capped.

The larger one is a 13mm thread while the Jr. is an 11mm thread. This gives it about the smallest section I'm willing to go, with a #6 nib.
Excuse the crappy photo.

View attachment 372287
Without doing the math that sounds like it makes for some incredibly thin fragile areas in the section/tenon?

Hippie3180

I'm not really looking to reinvent anything, I feel comfortable leaving a minimal shoulder and a little diameter. I was just really more curious as to what folks feel the "standard" is for pen length and diameter. I've seen some behemoth pens and some stubby pocket pens…and there's everything in between, but what is the average/standard. Would it be something closer to kit pen size? Idk?

PatrickR

There aren't any real standards that I know of. There are standard shapes that have been refined over generations.
Take a look at Sailors line, it spans small to large to appeal to the widest personal preference. Currently there is a trend of large nibs like the #8. Magna Carta has a #9 now (they claim it's the largest made). I have not seen a #9 in person but it would seem to demand a very large pen.

Hippie3180

Dear goodness, why can't we edit after we post? I mean I know we can in the actual post, but why not in the title? And how come I never notice typos until it's too late? 🤦🏼‍♀️

darrin1200

Without doing the math that sounds like it makes for some incredibly thin fragile areas in the section/tenon?
It is pretty thin between the cap and section thread on the barrel. I have not had any break, in use, yet. However, I have had a couple break while cutting the threads. I have found if I cut the inner outer threads first, I don't get the breakage.

I could change the section tenon from 10mm to 9mm. But, personally, I have had more section breakages with the 9mm thread than I have with the thin barrels threads.

Top Bottom