I’m in Wonderland

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

So, yesterday I mentioned to my wife that I was going to be in my shop turning some pens when out of the blue, she said, "You should look into getting a bigger lathe so you can learn how to turn bowls."

So, my question is: Did I get hit on the head and now I'm in a fever dream in a coma?

Also, for around $2500, what would be a good choice to nab up before she comes to her senses?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

The Powermatic is the "Gold Standard" (pun intended) for big boy lathes. It is a beast, but it is amazing

howsitwork

Both look damn good buys to me. Remember you'll need a chuck as well ,to make life easier. Then again I found birthday and present suggestions helpful to family

darrin1200

I love my Oneway 1224. It's made in Canada and is one very solid machine that will easily fit into your budget. Unfortunately, it does not have outboard turning. It is variable speed, fwd/rev, can take a vacuum adapter and comes with a very stable and sturdy base. It can also be fitted with 24" bed extension making it a 12x48 and likely still be in your budget.

Also easily in the price range, would be the Oneway 1236SD. While it doesn't have outboard turning either, it has the advantage of being able to tilt allowing work from a sitting position.
Their first lathe that does allow outboard turning, is the Oneway 1640, which also gives a longer bed and bigger swing. Unfortunately, it also comes with a nasty price tag.

For myself, the 12" swing has been plenty. But, while i have made a couple of bowls and small platters, I have never made anything big enough to require the outboard.

Just throwing another hat in the ring. ;)

pshrynk

I love my Oneway 1224. It's made in Canada and is one very solid machine that will easily fit into your budget. Unfortunately, it does not have outboard turning. It is variable speed, fwd/rev, can take a vacuum adapter and comes with a very stable and sturdy base. It can also be fitted with 24" bed extension making it a 12x48 and likely still be in your budget.

Also easily in the price range, would be the Oneway 1236SD. While it doesn't have outboard turning either, it has the advantage of being able to tilt allowing work from a sitting position.
Their first lathe that does allow outboard turning, is the Oneway 1640, which also gives a longer bed and bigger swing. Unfortunately, it also comes with a nasty price tag.

For myself, the 12" swing has been plenty. But, while i have made a couple of bowls and small platters, I have never made anything big enough to require the outboard.

Just throwing another hat in the ring. ;)
The 1224 does look sweet. I like the built in junk collectors underneath. The 1640 is sort of overwhelming. Looks like an industrial equipment leap there.

Rodney W

Don't forget the used market. Good quality modern (most older lathes were built more for spindle work) lathes capable of turning bowls do come up every now and then. Any wood turning clubs in your area? It might be a good place to ask around.

Jerry Simpson

I make pens, but I also make bowls and platters, so I need a lathe that is heavy and has a large swing. I once owned a Delta midi lathe, but I quickly realized the limitations of a small lathe. I was also very frustrated by the 5/8" tool rest post, since it moved on me. I bought a used Robust Sweet 16 for about $3,000. These are really quality machines that you will never outgrow. See: turnrobust.com

Top Bottom