I’m amazed but not surprised

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

A Sierra kit i got from Exotic Blanks developed a problem after a few weeks of use, rendering it unusable. I used "ask question" on their website describing the problem with as much detail as possible.
Ed got back to me in less than an hour !
Told me how to fix the problem. Took a few seconds to fix a pen I thought was a goner. Their customer service is absolutely the best !!!!
I've seen many similar posts here but I felt it necessary to add another.
Thank you Ed !!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Could you share the problem? Maybe others already knew this or it may help others in the future.
The Sierra twists from the bottom. The tapered bottom (just above the small tip at the very bottom) loosened, so twisting it didn't advance or retract the refill. It spun freely.
Solution Ed gave:
Unscrew the bottom component and use the press to press it again as the bottom section is pressure fitted and just came loose. PROBLEM SOLVED !

jttheclockman

The Sierra twists from the bottom. The tapered bottom (just above the small tip at the very bottom) loosened, so twisting it didn't advance or retract the refill. It spun freely.
Solution Ed gave:
Unscrew the bottom component and use the press to press it again as the bottom section is pressure fitted and just came loose. PROBLEM SOLVED !
What name does the kit go by because no sierra I know spins on the bottom section. There are so many clones to keep tract of them all. Just curious. Thanks

BULLWINKLE

What name does the kit go by because no sierra I know spins on the bottom section. There are so many clones to keep tract of them all. Just curious. Thanks
Hi John,
Many years ago , before I discovered Exotic Blanks, I made the Gatsby from PSI.
If my memory serves me correctly it advances by twisting the finial on top.
I ordered several Sierras and they all worked by holding the top and bottom to twist. I suppose it is possible that I put them together wrong. But instructions were clear and it really is one of the easiest pens to assemble. Also, since I am new to Exotic Blanks, it's possible that the design changed ???? When Ed responded to my question he knew what I meant. I am posting his response below. He would be the right person to ask. These were the first Sierra's I ever turned and I haven't made any of the clones in over a decade.
A97CA6A8-F1EF-4D76-9AF2-58D935A0B535.jpeg

Last edited:

jttheclockman

OK I understand now. It is a Gatsby kit which is a clone of the Sierra line. They are finial twist and the nib portion has a coupler that the nib gets pressed into as well as the tube. That coupler needs to be pressed all the way in the tube and the nib screwed on all the way to the coupler. Just in case someone else is reading this with the same problem Thanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is NOT a Gatsby kit, the kit in question was a sierra (from Berea). The "nib" is a three piece assembly, the middle piece is press fit into the tip and top "spacer". This assembly can come loose.

Introducing information on the Gatsby can only confuse the issue.

jttheclockman

It is NOT a Gatsby kit, the kit in question was a sierra (from Berea). The "nib" is a three piece assembly, the middle piece is press fit into the tip and top "spacer". This assembly can come loose.

Introducing information on the Gatsby can only confuse the issue.
The Sierra from Berea is a one piece nib section and no pressing is involved. Are you saying that manufactured piece can come loose? I have made a lot of those and never seen that. This could be a problem because that is how you take refill out by holding that nib section and pulling the top apart off the tranny.

byounghusband

I have to echo the positive statements about Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks. Since my re-entry into the Pen turning world, I have asked them a number of questions, Ez-Wood Tool selection, Pen Tube issues and Pen modifying questions. I have yet to wait more than a few hours for a response, ever!! They are so very helpful, and I will continue to buy from them. Their Customer Service is how it is SUPPOSED to be!! Top Notch!!
Thank You Ed and Dawn for all you do for us!!

jttheclockman

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 362396
Yes always a picture is worth a 1000 words. After you said this I thought that was what you talked about. I never had one come apart and I have made many of those type kits both Sierra and Elegant Sierras. Now at least I know and so do others that this possibility does exists. This was my point trying to get the info out there and recorded in a thread for future references. Thanks for the details.

sorcerertd

I appreciate your sharing about EB customer service. When I type an E in my address bar, it autofills with exoticblanks.com. :)

What stands out to me about this thread, though, is that if the nib is press fit, then it can be taken apart and likely replaced with a custom made piece, right? Hmm...

jttheclockman

I appreciate your sharing about EB customer service. When I type an E in my address bar, it autofills with exoticblanks.com. :)

What stands out to me about this thread, though, is that if the nib is press fit, then it can be taken apart and likely replaced with a custom made piece, right? Hmm...
I believe it has been done if I recall. Would have to do some searching to find that thread. One example. I remember others.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/making-a-custom-sierra-style-pen.62322/

An old problem
https://www.penturners.org/threads/sierra-elegent-issue.93551/

People were making their own nib sections from wood and acrylics back then
https://www.penturners.org/threads/sierra-help.128320/

Last edited:
Top Bottom