Hurricane Henri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Prayers for all of you in the path of this storm. My son and his family are pretty much dead center in Cheshire CT. Thank goodness they live on a hill and are not likely to flood no matter how much it rains. They are battening down the hatches!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Hi Sharon. I was just thinking I hadn't seen you around here for a bit. Hope you are well and yes, definitely prayers for your family and those in the path. I've been through a couple of hurricanes here in NC. Mother nature is a force to be reckoned with.

Bats

Good luck to your son. We're battening down the hatches here too (about 40mins north/inland of Cheshire), and trying, at the absolute last minute, to hunt down a generator. Really not looking forward to the prospect of losing power for a week and a half. Again.

Larryreitz

Here in Salem, SE CT, it wasn't nearly as bad as predicted. We lost power due to tree limbs on power lines about 10:45 this AM. Obviously it's back now as I'm connected to the internet. The wind never seemed as bad as it could have, but, it is supposed to pick up again in an hour or so. The weather channel says it will hit us at about 25 mph which is about where it was this AM. Feeling quite fortunate to have escaped, at least so far.

Mortalis

My area (Southern Mass) was predicted to be the landfall target but the storm veered West and hit Westerly RI about 40 miles south of us. The storm pretty much petered out as it was slow moving and hit the cooler waters.

Bats

The storm pretty much petered out as it was slow moving and hit the cooler waters.
You can thank me for that. I ran out and picked up a generator today, at which point the storm immediately stopped.

You're welcome.

(honestly, I'm glad to have it anyhow - it's something I'd already been pushing for after the last couple protracted outages, and I'll be relieved to have it come winter storm season)

duncsuss

The latest prediction estimates whatever is left of it will be more or less directly over my head 8PM tomorrow - by then it will have been over land 36 hours, getting weaker all the time.

Glad all fared well in the storm...
I know from some experience they can be pretty devastating... I was in Houston when Katrina hit New Orleans, then was followed a week or so later by Rita that hit Houston about Port Arthur... we had quite a bit of rain out of her.... we were sitting in our house with everything we owned packed and sitting in the garage waiting our house closing and move to Tennessee... we watch water creep up the driveway to within about 3 or 4 feet of the garage door.

Also sat through tropical storm Allison that sat over Houston and rained for 2-3 days.... all of Houston was flooded... my office was a block from I10 that goes through town and we watched semi trucks floating down the freeway..... second day I waited until Dianne got home before I started, (she was closer to home, but still had almost an hours drive.... I finally left the office about 10 or 11 pm...we had a foot of water in the parking lot at my office and water was over the second step of the stairs that lead up to the dock.... it took me until about 3 or 4 pm the next day to get home... and even then I wound up leaving my car parked in 18" of water at a local funeral home on my way and a nephew picked me up in his big dualy Dodge truck and I had to wade out in thigh high water to get to him.

We didn't get a hurricane, but we had some devastating flooding over in middle Tennessee south of Nashville... a number of deaths and a large number of people still missing. In east TN where I am, we had a couple of hard downpours, but otherwise not too much rain.

Top Bottom