Humidity and the way I was able to overcome it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I got a big order (for me) on 7/3. I was told on 7/5 they were needed by 7/26. I live in SOUTH Georgia. Where the temps and the humidity are high. I am writing this thread to share what I learned and hopefully I can look back on it if I need this information in the future.

Specifics
36 Heart Pine (former barn wood) Sierra Clicks
Decal on each one (Decal was printed with a laser printer)
Humidity in the shop 70-85%
Temp in the shop 78-92 degrees

Difficulty
No climate control in shop (AC or dehumidifier)
Base finish before the decal no issues
Once I put the decal on, 80% failure rate.
Failures (Cloudy CA, smeared decal, bubbles in finish aka orange peel).

Process
Turn blanks via metal lathe to .530 to insure a mostly flat surface.
Bring blank to wood lathe to turn to .463-.467 to accommodate for the finish
Sand 220, 400, 1500
Clean with DNA between grits
Allow to dry
Put 4 coats of medium CA on
Allow to dry over night
Sand to 2nd Micromesh pad
Apply decal, let dry
Hit decal with heat gun
Put 7 layers of medium to seal in decal.

Failures and Attempts to Overcome

Smearing Decal- Never had decals smear quite this badly. Usually, when they do, it is because I am putting CA on too firm. Even with a light touch, the ink was smearing badly. Smearing would happen sometimes 3 or 4 coats into the process. Went to the store and purchased clear acrylic spray to combat this.
Solution: 3-4 coats of clear acrylic and then 3 coats of thin CA lightly applied before 6 coats of Medium.

Bubbles: CA curing too fast and put on too thick. Lowering the humidity in my shop with a dehumidifier (borrowed the one from in the house) helped with bubbles.

Cloudy CA: Tried several different ways to combat the cloudy CA bloom. Including: Slowing down the application process, accelerator/no accelerator, lowering humidity via dehumidifier, etc. No 100% successful method was found and my CA was quickly running out. No time to order more, and no places to purchase quality CA nearby.

In my desperation, I called Ed at Exotic Blanks.
Let me first say, I called on a Saturday at the end of my rope, deadline looming and failures mounting. I have been buying from Exotic Blanks I think from their beginning. Also, I have been turning pens for 15 years or more. Ed knew all this and I explained my failures and what I had tried to do to combat them. Here is what he suggested:
Bring the blanks indoors to apply the decal and leave them indoors. Finish the blank as quickly as possible and return the blank to the indoors, where the temperature and humidity are lower. See if it blooms.
Honestly, I didn't want to do that. If it worked, I had to go in and out of my shop multiple times. So, I figured I could give one a try and see what happens.
What do you know, it worked! Yep, one at a time in and out. 6 Coats of CA with accelerator and bring it back in ASAP.

So if you are dealing with high temperatures and humidity and cannot control it with A/C, I highly encourage you to try this method.
Also, I want to say a big thank you to Ed. He talked me off a cliff and I gave me an idea that neither of us was certain would work but was worth a try.
Sorry this was so long, but as there have been a couple of threads recently about humidity, I hope this is helpful.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Great News. Glad you were able to get the job done. Also thank you for sharing about Ed. I knew he could be a big help but didn't know about the counseling. If he can talk you off a cliff maybe he can help me with my wife! Ha Ha

Hippie3180

I got a big order (for me) on 7/3. I was told on 7/5 they were needed by 7/26. I live in SOUTH Georgia. Where the temps and the humidity are high. I am writing this thread to share what I learned and hopefully I can look back on it if I need this information in the future.

Specifics

Difficulty

Process
Sand 220, 400, 1500
Allow to dry
Allow to dry over night
Apply decal, let dry
Hit decal with heat gun

Smearing Decal- Never had decals smear quite this badly. Usually, when they do, it is because I am putting CA on too firm. Even with a light touch, the ink was smearing badly. Smearing would happen sometimes 3 or 4 coats into the process. Went to the store and purchased clear acrylic spray to combat this.
Solution: 3-4 coats of clear acrylic and then 3 coats of thin CA lightly applied before 6 coats of Medium.

Bubbles: CA curing too fast and put on too thick. Lowering the humidity in my shop with a dehumidifier (borrowed the one from in the house) helped with bubbles.

Cloudy CA: Tried several different ways to combat the cloudy CA bloom. Including: Slowing down the application process, accelerator/no accelerator, lowering humidity via dehumidifier, etc. No 100% successful method was found and my CA was quickly running out. No time to order more, and no places to purchase quality CA nearby.

Let me first say, I called on a Saturday at the end of my rope, deadline looming and failures mounting. I have been buying from Exotic Blanks I think from their beginning. Also, I have been turning pens for 15 years or more. Ed knew all this and I explained my failures and what I had tried to do to combat them. Here is what he suggested:
Bring the blanks indoors to apply the decal and leave them indoors. Finish the blank as quickly as possible and return the blank to the indoors, where the temperature and humidity are lower. See if it blooms.
Honestly, I didn't want to do that. If it worked, I had to go in and out of my shop multiple times. So, I figured I could give one a try and see what happens.
What do you know, it worked! Yep, one at a time in and out. 6 Coats of CA with accelerator and bring it back in ASAP.

So if you are dealing with high temperatures and humidity and cannot control it with A/C, I highly encourage you to try this method.
Also, I want to say a big thank you to Ed. He talked me off a cliff and I gave me an idea that neither of us was certain would work but was worth a try.
Sorry this was so long, but as there have been a couple of threads recently about humidity, I hope this is helpful.
Great information, thank you.

derekdd

Heck, I have a dedicated dehumidifier for my garage that runs 24/7/365. Part of it is due to all the lumber stored there I want to keep dry.

Part of it is because of what you describe.

I'm glad you're able to get the job done! That was a great order.

Mike

This afternoon it was about 13% humidity and 101Ā° F here. I finished a 2 blank pen with BLO and CA and the finish was a little hazy. I let it sit for 4 or 5 hours without touching it and then buffed it with Tripoli, white diamond and carnauba. The finish turned out glossy like I wanted. I am going to do my finishing in the early AM for a few weeks until it cools off a bit.

BULLWINKLE

Specifics

Difficulty

Process
Sand 220, 400, 1500
Allow to dry
Allow to dry over night
Apply decal, let dry
Hit decal with heat gun

I too live in a high humidity and high temperature area. I had many of the same problems. I came up with a different solution that works well. I don't use a CA finish. I've never tried it with decals though only with various woods so I can't comment on its effectiveness with decals.
I use a lacquer finish. I opted for using an aerosol as opposed to a can as you use it sparingly. It's a bit pricier than the can but it averages out as the canned lacquer goes bad. I spray a bit on a (blue) paper shop towel and and apply it while the lathe is turning. Never had any issues. Dries extremely fast especially if you let it dry with the lathe turning. It also gives a furniture like finish rather than a plastic finish to the wood. I've turned many acrylics and I like the finish on them but I've never been a fan of making wood feel like plastic.

djz9

Living in SW Fla. I have the same problem, I do have AC in my shop but that is just for my comfort. What I came up with is drying the blanks for about 12 to 24 hrs. ( I keep track of the weight) at low temp. Taking them out and putting them in a plastic box with sil packs to cool. Then lastly stabilizing them to finish off the blank. My problem was more checking and cracking after a month or so. now after a couple of months seems to be no more problems. This all takes a lot of time, but it is much better then having a customer get a pen that cracks, and having to remake it and mail it back fixed.

egnald

Here in Nebraska, when I woke up, humidity = 100% (heavy condensation on all windows).
Now, at Noon, 90-degrees, and 75% humidity.
Step out of an air conditioned car, instantly go blind because of the fog on your glasses.
It sucks to be outside out of the air conditioning.
It's a good thing my shop is in the house.
Dave

Top Bottom