HSS Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I primarily use a 3/4" HSS spindle gouge for turning pens, both wood and acrylic. I have a Crown that I like. But my question is, are so-called better chisels really that much better? Such as Robert Sorby. Are they worth the higher cost?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

Crown makes very good tools. In my opinion, I think Sorby it just sideway move. Not really an upgrade. If you want an upgrade get the crown M42 tools.

Dieseldoc

Top grade in the market is M42, however Carter and son has added 105% cobalt to the M42 which gives a much sharper edge for longer peroid of time. Check out Carter and son.

TonyL

I own Benjamin's Best, Sorbey, Doug Thompson's , and Dways. I use use Dways, 10:1. For what I turn (wood, mixed materials. M3, TS, acrylic. I prefer Dways. I find it hold an edge longer. My next preference is Doug's, followed by Sorbey and then BB. The difference I find is how long they hold an edge. Remember, this is just my experience and I am only a pen and BS turner. I own at least 3 chisels from the above brands. Enjoy the research.

Agree with the folk above, esp Brotherdale's comment about a sideways move. Not that it would be bad. I have several Sorby tools and use them a lot. Don't have any Crown tools but they seem to have a decent reputation.

Also, couple other points: 1 - You have to like what you use and it's difficult to tell what you like best if you don't try other stuff.
2 - I do a considerable amount of bowl turning and use my "good" tools there. Believe it or not, my favorite pen turning tool is a carbon steel roughing gouge that was in the set my wife got me for Christmas years ago (Harbor Freight, I believe). Again - you have to like what you use.

So - if you're inclined to - get the Crown and let us know that it's the best thing since they put beer in a can.

JimB

I have used Crown tools but don't own any. I do own several different Sorby tools. I don't see any real difference between these 2 HSS brands. However, if you spend to get the Powdered Metal (PM) version of crown that will be different.

As mentioned already, when you get to the 'exotic' steels such as M42 (Carter and Son and some others) and V10 steel from Thompson (I own both) that you will see a difference but you will spend a lot more $$$$.

As Tony mentioned there are differences with some HSS tools. In my opinion Harbor Freight, Benjamin's Best and Hurricane don't hold an edge as long as Crown or Sorby.

howsitwork

I've got Ashley Isles skew chisels , Sorby and , Record Power and Crown. The Isles skews are very good steel. henry Taylor is my favourite roughing gouge but that's maybe cos I've had it longest and like it ( as said above it's what you find best) . All of these hold an edge well. I do also have the Crown PM series tools and they ARE good . Current count 3 roughing gouges , 4 large bowl gouges ( 2 Isles ones are my favourites ) a number of spindle gouges and 6 skews ( estimated, don't ask ! )

So PM worth the extra money, Isles again v good , Haven't tried Carter ones or the V10 . For a very fine edge I like a small HSS skew I made or a carbon steel 1,/2" wide skew from Sorby but this needs homing really every time with a diamond hone before using for finishing cuts.

Top Bottom