Howdy from NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott T Smith

A family that participates here, George and Alex Lesniak (AlexL), recommended that I join IAP.

My wife (veterinarian) and I live on a farm south of Raleigh, NC. I retired from a Fortune 200 job a few years back in order to focus my efforts on building our farm.

In addition to producing hay, organic eggs and timber, a part of our farm business is a milling and drying operation that specializes in oak, particularly very wide plank quartersawn. The sawmill is a Peterson 10" Winch production frame swingblade model, and the kiln is a Nyle dehumidification unit. Our mill is unusual in that it can mill a log up to 58' long and 60" in diameter. I routinely have quartersawn boards up to 20" wide in stock.

In addition to milling quartersawn oak, we produce a product called "Feathered Oak". For those of you familiar with AlexL's incredible work, you may recall some of his pens that featured my wood. Alex sure is a talented young man, as well as a really nice kid too. We also produce several different types of spalted wood, including oak, gum and maple.

I enjoy designing and building things myself - weather they be made of metal, wood, or require heavy equipment. My interests include flying, woodworking, construction, welding, grading, farming, motorcycling, reading, mechanical work, etc.

I'm looking forward to learning from the members here; thanks for letting me join.

Scott Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jocat54

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. There are some very talented people on this forum and I have been learning a lot from them.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Scott! You may not need these links, but you may find something in them.
These are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

Sylvanite

Welcome Scott! I hope you enjoy the site. There's a wealth of great information here and I've learned a lot from it over the years. I agree you you about Alex. I've done some engraving for him and he sure can make a pen shine.

Regards,
Eric

Scott T Smith

All - thanks much for the warm welcome.

Cathy - thanks also for those links - they will come in handy!

Right now, both of my lathe's are metel working models; older Southbends. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a woodworking one. I've been thinking about converting one of them to a wood lathe, hmm....

AMFI - Lillington has been growing quite a bit. If you haven't been home recently, you're going to be surprised.

Glenn, I'll see if I can pull some photo's together; thanks for asking.

seawolf

Welcome from Tulsa Ok. I to would like to see some of your wood pictures. I do other turnings as well. Great people here and we try to buy from other member when we can.
Mark

Top Bottom