Howdy from Idaho!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

michelle

Hi All! I've been turning for 6 months now. I needed a hobby that didn't involve people or computers. When I remembered my love of reading the Levenger catalog when I was younger, I decided to try making pens.

I'm having a great time!

Here is a picture of my 6th attempt. I was practicing turning on a regular 2"x2" and decided to take it down to a pen blank.

Thanks to all for posting and supporting this site! I've learned lots!

Michelle

Attachments

• pinefir.jpg
    pinefir.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Welcome Michelle. You picked and addictive hobby, for sure. You will enjoy it immensely. I have brother-in-law living in Rathdrum. That's not far from you I think.

fastgast

Welcome from the desert, yes there's something about saw dust that makes the world go away til the paper gets stuck on the blank. Nice pen, have fun.

michelle

Thanks All! -

Rick you are correct. A friend bought me a Harbor Freight lathe for Christmas to get started. I figured it would be good enough for a while. By pen #5, I was cursing it and bought a Rikon. I'm loving it!

Michelle

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Funny timing. I just read your post as I lay here in a hotel room in Twin Falls, ID on my way to Yellowstone. :)

Welcome to the IAP!

GK

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Michelle. Welcome to IAP.

That's a nice looking pen. It looks much better than my first pens.

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

If you need anymore info, there are many here ready to answer your questions. And don't forget the great resources we have available through the Library and Wiki links on the home page.

Fred

Michelle, Welcome to the Forum! So good to have another lady turner here to help the other ladies keep us men in line. Glad to have you join in with us. :biggrin:

michelle

Hi Fred! Thank you for the welcome! My day job is "keeping (you) men in line", so I think I will stick to having fun and giving everyone a hard time when they earn it! ;)

Michelle

Top Bottom